This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Horrible Insomnia!

HopefulMama23

HopefulMama23 Explorer

My hashimotos causes me to have bouts of just horrible insomnia- 2-3 hours of sleep a night for weeks at a time. I will go to bed at 10 and fall asleep around 3:30 am, for many nights in a row. Melatonin doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You have to sleep it is vital for your health and emotional well being. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? You may need to adjust your Thyroid meds or the time you take them. Don't know if they might be contributing as I don't know much about thyroid issues. You might also want to ask for a sleep aid to use on a temp basis. I resisted them for a long time, well any meds actually, but have found my anxiety med to be a great help and now sleep a solid 8 hours on a decreasing low dose. Sometimes the first step stuff like a totally dark room, a warm bath, going to bed at the same time every night etc just don't do the trick.

HopefulMama23 Explorer

Thanks Raven. The insomnia comes when I swing into hyperthyroid- so I'm not on thyroid meds, just waiting for my thyroid to tire out and die. :-)

You're right- it's time I tried a real sleep aid, as much as I hate the idea of that, I hate not sleeping at all even more.

kendon0015 Rookie

One of my biggest symptoms for years before being diagnosed with hashimotos was insomnia and was 100% cured with synthroid...luckily Yes, perhaps your medication may need a second look. Also, what may seem obvious, be sure you aren't napping during the day which can affect your night time sleep. I know when I have a busy day, I'm really tired when I go to bed. Don't go to bed to early, and try not to fall asleep on the couch watching TV before your usual bed time.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have found this helpful--

Open Original Shared Link

I take 3 tablets about a half hour before bed.

love2travel Mentor

I feel your pain! Though I do not have Hashimoto's I have had insomnia for nearly 20 years but it has been even worse the past 3 1/2 years after an accident that has left me with severe chronic pain. The only thing that helps me after trying all there is on the market is Zopiclone, a prescription sleep aid. I have been on it for 12 years and have no dependence as I only allow myself to take it once per week. It is the only thing that guarantees me a good sleep. Fibromyalgia also causes me agonizing pain and sleep is absolutely crucial but I find it nearly impossible to get to sleep because it is so darned uncomfortable no matter what I do. Melatonin and other supplements are like candy to me but can help others.

Do not be concerned about asking your doctor about sleep aids! Sometimes you just have no choice.

sariesue Explorer

If you do go with the prescription sleep aid route make sure that you aren't alone the first time you take it. Ambien can cause hallucinations. The times that I took ambien I would hallucinate and then have a panic attack due to what I was seeing. However, I have no problems on ambien CR. If you are concerned about long term issues or the typical side effects of hypnotic sleep aids, very low doses of Seroquel are used as an off label sleep aid. It's technically a mild antipsychotic, but at subtheraputic doses it works as a sleep aid. Plus it doesn't cause dependence or the common side effects of prescription sleep aids. There is an old school antidepressant that it used as a sleep aid as well but seeing how it didn't work for me I can't remember the name.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

HopefulMama23 Explorer

Thank you to everyone! JerseyAngel, I am actually studying homeopathy and i'm interested in your remedy you mentioned. Can you tell me more about how it has worked for you?

I actually took a Xanax and then an Ambian last night out of desperation and they DIDN'T WORK! I'm totally freaking out now. I hate the idea of drugs but I at least thought I had them as a last resort. Now I feel hopeless.

Can you tell me more about the serequel too?

sariesue Explorer

Seroquel is a second generation antipsychotic. In low doses it is very very sedating but as the dose gets higher it becomes less sedating. It's currently only labeled to treat psychosis, mania, and major depression. Off label uses include insomnia and GAD. It's nonhabit forming so it can be used more long term than traditional sleep aids. It does have side effects the biggest that I know of is weight gain. If you want more info I'd look it up on drugs.com or webmd.com

jerseyangel Proficient

Thank you to everyone! JerseyAngel, I am actually studying homeopathy and i'm interested in your remedy you mentioned. Can you tell me more about how it has worked for you?

First, I need to let everyone know that this remedy (Calms Forte) contains oat. I was terribly remiss to not mention that before, but honestly I'm so extremely sensitive and it hasn't affected me at all as regards Celiac symptoms that I forgot. It works very well for me--I take 3 tablets with water about 30 minutes before I go to bed and it helps me settle down and fall asleep. The amount of sleep I get has varied--4-6 hours tops.

HM23, it was suggested I try this by a professional. I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping due to anxiety, and had been using a 1/4-1/2 of a Klonopin to sleep. That was working well, but I didn't want to get addicted. I don't use it during the day due to the drowsiness, but it works great to allow me to fall asleep. My doctor prescribed Sonata but I've been afraid to try it.

Just last night I tried Hylands "Insomnia" remedy and it helped me fall asleep within about 10 minutes. I did wake up after about 4 hours, which I find happens with whatever I've tried. The "Insomnia" contains no oat or gluten, and dissolves under the tongue so I plan to keep it on my nightstand.

Luckily, the Homeopathic meds tend to work for me, as I'm so sensitive that it's very difficult for me to use most prescription meds. The Klonopin was the only thing out of many that I could tolerate.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived