GFreeMO

Anyone Not Able To Add Back Dairy?

Rate this topic

I have been gluten free for about 2 years. Back in Dec. I added back dairy. It caused me problems so I started popping lactaid pills and using lactaid milk. It seems like it has stopped working. I have had horrible trapped gas and mucus and gas pain. I had yogurt last month and broke out with cold sores and it's been giving me headaches. Is it possible to become entirely intolerant after 2 years to dairy. Does this seem like casein since the lactaid stuff isnt working anymore or is it just possible to develop this new intolerance?

Thanks!

I have been gluten free for about 2 years. Back in Dec. I added back dairy. It caused me problems so I started popping lactaid pills and using lactaid milk. It seems like it has stopped working. I have had horrible trapped gas and mucus and gas pain. I had yogurt last month and broke out with cold sores and it's been giving me headaches. Is it possible to become entirely intolerant after 2 years to dairy. Does this seem like casein since the lactaid stuff isnt working anymore or is it just possible to develop this new intolerance?

Thanks!

I cut out dairy for the first year. When I tried to add it back in I had a similar experience, except I didn't try using lactaid. I seemed okay with yogurt and hard cheeses at first so I stuck to those, but I started having bloating. Then I started noticing I was congested and coughing everytime I ate dairy. Then I started having severe allergic reactions where my throat felt like it was closing shut. I somehow developed a milk allergy and now I have to carry an epi-pen. The milk allergy thing seems to be rare according to my allergist. But he said you can develop new allergies or intolerances anytime in your life or it's possible to be born with a mild allergy/intolerance that get worse as you get older. In my case I think I was born with a milk allergy. My mom said she had to take me off of milk products as a toddler for a while and I had asthma which is now practically gone off dairy. Bottom line is it's possible your intolerant to casein and it's new or it's possible you have always had it and being gluten free just made it more noticeable. I would go back off dairy if I were you.

I am going to cut out all dairy again. It just does not agree with me. Getting cold sores, mucous stools, headaches, knee pain is not worth it! I am kind of thinking that I am casein intolerant b/c even that coffeemate creamer that is lactose free makes me sick and it has casein in it.

I am going to cut out all dairy again. It just does not agree with me. Getting cold sores, mucous stools, headaches, knee pain is not worth it! I am kind of thinking that I am casein intolerant b/c even that coffeemate creamer that is lactose free makes me sick and it has casein in it.

are you sure that coffeemate creamer is gluten-free? I seem to remember some other posters have trouble with it recently. I'll see if I can find the thread and post it for you.

ETA: Okay, never mind. YOU were the one asking about so I guess you got your answers already and eliminated it.

I think taking out all casein is a great idea.