GFreeMO

Lactaid Milk Just Like Rice Dream

Rate this topic

I have been getting sick from Lactiad milk so I thought I would do some investigating to figure out why. The enzyme that they add to the milk is aspergillus oryzae. It is grown on wheat kernels. So yet again another so called gluten free product just like rice Dream that can be labeled as such but really isn't. I'm so tired of companies and their false claims. I could scream!

Does anyone know anything about this? I know that Lactaid says it's gluten free but I am wondering if it's the same deal with the Rice Dream.

I emailed them am and am waiting for an answer to see if maybe their enzyme is grown on something else.

What are some safe rice milks?

I have to wonder about inaccuracies in a source that calls the fungus A. oryzae an enzyme. Also, most commercial lactase preparation is from A. niger or GMO bacteria. It's definitely not the same as Rice Dream either because with Rice Dream the enzyme they use is directly extracted from barley. I will be curious to hear what Hood says, because their website states that Lactaid Milk is gluten-free.

http://www.hood.com/Faq/faqDetail.aspx?id=1392&lb=1397

As I think about it, I would be really, really surprised if there were detectable gluten in the milk. They use a trace of purified enzyme, which may have a trace of gluten if your source is right (but I suspect not). A trace of a trace may get the super-sensitive, but it's hardly a "false claim".

Edited by Skylark

Ok, well I finally just called them. They said that the enzyme is Kluyzeromyces. It's a yeast. She didn't know how it was made. Makes sense now as I have a yeast allergy.

What are some safe rice milks?

If you have a Wegmans near by their milk is for sure safe. Pacific brand also makes some good milks.

Ok, well I finally just called them. They said that the enzyme is Kluyzeromyces. It's a yeast. She didn't know how it was made. Makes sense now as I have a yeast allergy.

Ugh. That must be a pain.

By the way, you are confusing the enzyme with the organism that produces the enzyme. That's why I thought your source might be dodgy. The enzyme in Lactaid is called lactase. Lactase is produced by a number of bacteria, yeasts, and fungi. The source of the lactase is apparently different between the Lactaid milk and the Lactaid tablets. You might be able to tolerate the tablets, since Aspergillus oryzae is less closely related to bakers' yeast.