This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Different Face Wash?

bbdailey

bbdailey Explorer

Hey Everybody! I have recently become very depressed(for no reason) after starting to feel much better being gluten free for 4 months. I havent felt like this since going gluten free and when I went to the doctor today he didnt have any clue what it could be from. I have tryed to think of what could be causing this and the only thing I can think of is that I changed face wash about two weeks ago. I guess I started to feel worse and worse before becoming very depressed(although I did have a colonoscopy last tuesday) a few days ago so my question is does this make since? Does anybody become very depressed when in contact with gluten? Wouldnt I feel depressed right away or could it slowly impair my mind over a week or two's time? Does anybody have similiar stories where they were accidentally glutened daily and had bad symptoms until they found the source? Any comments would be much appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Could be...you just never know. I wash my face with unscented Dove soap. It is gluten free.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Could be gluten. Did they put you under for the colonoscopy? Some people experience depression after being anesthetized.

bbdailey Explorer

Yea I was put under for the colonoscopy but the depression didnt really start until 5 days later. Im starting to suspect that it could be the thyroid medication I am on(levothyroxine 50 mg). I began taking it 6 weeks ago and have read that it usually takes 4-6 weeks to kick in. I know this is the opposite result I should expect with this medication but I have read many people experiencing depression on it. I think I am going to stop the medication and see how I feel.

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Sounds like your medication is a possibility. However, one of the most pronounced symptoms I get when I get glutened is an unbearable instant depression. I'm a happy person generally so when it hits ita very noticeable to myself and those around me and it's terrible.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Sounds like your medication is a possibility. However, one of the most pronounced symptoms I get when I get glutened is an unbearable instant depression. I'm a happy person generally so when it hits ita very noticeable to myself and those around me and it's terrible.

Me too. I get frankly suicidal. I do know now that it will lift which does make it easier to deal with.

I would go back to whatever face wash you were using before this started and see if that helps. Some companies are really good about labeling gluten in topicals, Dove is one and so is Garnier, which is what I use, if you really want a change.

It could be either. My grandfather gets severe depression from anesthesia and it isn't immediately obvious (at least to us). It can last months.

Also, you may need t3/t4 thyroid meds. Or, you may not be getting enough.

What face wash are you using?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bbdailey Explorer

I switched to neutragena blackhead eliminating scrub from neutragena power-clear scrub. They are both supposed to be gluten free but I definately stopped using the blackhead eliminating wash. I stopped taking the thyroid medication as well and I think that is the cause because I am on the fence whether I need to take it anyways since my TSH is at around 3. Hopefully these will clear up the symptoms!

Hungrylady Rookie

I use cera-ve with some baking soda to wash my face, then cera-ve lotion afterwards. I have eliminated almost all of my blackheads, works like a charm. That and the good eating!

It is gentle enough to care for skin with hives, and the dreaded Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Which I am happy my face is no longer red and peeling! :) Now if I could just fill the un-needed biopsy hole in my face :(

I use cera-ve with some baking soda to wash my face, then cera-ve lotion afterwards. I have eliminated almost all of my blackheads, works like a charm. That and the good eating!

It is gentle enough to care for skin with hives, and the dreaded Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Which I am happy my

face is no longer red and peeling! :) Now if I could just fill

the un-needed biopsy hole in my face :(

Wow, I'm glad yours is clearing up.

You have a HOLE? I can't believe they didn't stitch it or do something to make it heal better since it's on your face.

I'm scheduled for Sep. 8. My rash is under my arms, down to my bra line and up above my pits. I keep scoping it out thinking of where I won't let him biopsy so I can still wear a bra.

I don't use any cleansers on my face - I exfoliate with brown rice flour and superfine bakers sugar. Used Aveeno oatmeal til the whole gluten-free thing. Haven't worn any makeup since switching so don't know if it's too coarse to remove makeup yet. Everything I've tried that is a cleanser dries my skin out too much and makes me itch.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I switched to neutragena blackhead eliminating scrub from neutragena power-clear scrub. They are both supposed to be gluten free but I definately stopped using the blackhead eliminating wash. I stopped taking the thyroid medication as well and I think that is the cause because I am on the fence whether I need to take it anyways since my TSH is at around 3. Hopefully these will clear up the symptoms!

Garnier makes a facial scrub that doubles as a mask. I use it as a mask once a week to keep blackheads at bay. It works well for me.

Hungrylady Rookie

Me too, sooo happy. They did stitch, sorry. I meant a divit (sp?). Like a severe chicken pox scar. I call it a hole, lol. I could not imagine itching wear my bra is, that would make me crazy. I bet hot weather is awful for it. I wish I knew something that might work. Good luck on the 8th!

Archived