stellagogo

Eating Out

Rate this topic

how risky is it to order a gluten free grilled burger patty or chicken breast at a restaurant? is this a guaranteed source of cross contamination or are grills generally ok?

::sigh::

• Upvote 1

I usually ask if they can cook the burger on foil. Sometimes it helps to say you have an allergy because that is more easily understood than intolerance. Also be careful with chicken. I find it is usually has soy sauce. :(

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this unless it was a high end restaurant not a chain and I could speak to the chef before hand. I have found that most locally owned places are ok. I would not trust anything off of a grill from a chain restaurant though.

I have eaten at The Outback Steakhouse a few times and have had great luck there though. This would be one exception as they are gluten free friendly.

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this unless it was a high end restaurant not a chain and I could speak to the chef before hand. I have found that most locally owned places are ok. I would not trust anything off of a grill from a chain restaurant though.

I have eaten at The Outback Steakhouse a few times and have had great luck there though. This would be one exception as they are gluten free friendly.

Ditto. I would never, ever feel safe at a chain or fast food place. High-end places usually make their own stocks, marinades and so on and their sauces usually do not contain flour but rather are reductions, glazes, demi glaze, etc. They should be highlighting fresh, seasonal and local ingredients, not pre-made icky breaded stuff or chicken breasts seasoned with soy sauce. Their chefs are actually chefs who are better trained and aware and their staff get it. Not always, but usually. I recently ate at one such place - they actually had house-made gluten-free brioche with bread service (and house-made butter with fleur de sel for the brioche)! As GFreeMO does, I always call in advance to speak to the chef. That just does not happen at chains or FF places.

Ditto. I would never, ever feel safe at a chain or fast food place. High-end places usually make their own stocks, marinades and so on and their sauces usually do not contain flour but rather are reductions, glazes, demi glaze, etc. They should be highlighting fresh, seasonal and local ingredients, not pre-made icky breaded stuff or chicken breasts seasoned with soy sauce. Their chefs are actually chefs who are better trained and aware and their staff get it. Not always, but usually. I recently ate at one such place - they actually had house-made gluten-free brioche with bread service (and house-made butter with fleur de sel for the brioche)! As GFreeMO does, I always call in advance to speak to the chef. That just does not happen at chains or FF places.

I don't think I could have said this any better! This is my rule of thumb when dining out and it works 99% of the time. When I have been glutened, it usually always happened when I relaxed my standards or was traveling and had limited choices so had to eat in a less than upscale restaurant. There is just no need to add wheat to a sauce when a simple reduction can be made. Tastes better too!