GFreeMO

Dairy Free/casein Free Sub. For Butter

Rate this topic

What can I use in place of butter in recipes or on toast or veggies etc.? I have recently given up dairy. I think I was reacting to casein. I bought some Smart Balance light which is Gluten-free Casein-free but it has some soy. I don't have a problem with soy but I was wondering if there was anything else. I live in a tiny place with one grocery store so no health food stuff.

I did use Crisco Shortening for the no butter instructions on the Betty Crocker gluten-free website for my banana bread and it turned out great! I don't want to put Crisco in veggies though. gag!

Thanks!

Purity Farms makes a clarified butter (ghee) that is certified casein free. I purchase it at the local grocery but I'm sure you can find it online. If you've never had ghee, it's just butter with all the milk solids removed. You can actually make it yourself - I've seen procedures online - but it takes time and I'm not sure how I'd test to be sure all the solids are removed.

If someone else has done this with good results that are non-reactive, perhaps they'll post.

Earth Balance dairy,soy free spread works out fine. Your grocery store may be able to special order it for you.I also use coconut oil as a butter substitute...great on veggies and corn-on-the-cob.

We use Nutellex.