Diagnosed&Dealing

Pans And Cross Contamination

Rate this topic

How critical is it that pots and pans be replaced if originally used for gluten foods, and now are used for non-gluten foods? I was diagnosed back in Jan 2011, was amazingly symptom free for about 3 months, and the past 5 months have been pretty bad - random bloating, gas pains, abdominal pains, etc. Mo95% of all the food we cook with now is gluten-free. Still keep some regular waffles and bread around for my daughter, but everyone is super careful with making sure my gluten-free items are cut away from and before any gluten items and that everything is washed very well in between. I originally thought maybe I was getting sick from something else, but I have kept a daily diary of all foods and drinks consumed and cannot see a pattern anywhere relating to what I am consuming and the troubles I am having. I am wondering if the pots, pans, cutting boards etc could be causing me to get gluttened without realizing it?

How critical is it that pots and pans be replaced if originally used for gluten foods, and now are used for non-gluten foods? I was diagnosed back in Jan 2011, was amazingly symptom free for about 3 months, and the past 5 months have been pretty bad - random bloating, gas pains, abdominal pains, etc. Mo95% of all the food we cook with now is gluten-free. Still keep some regular waffles and bread around for my daughter, but everyone is super careful with making sure my gluten-free items are cut away from and before any gluten items and that everything is washed very well in between. I originally thought maybe I was getting sick from something else, but I have kept a daily diary of all foods and drinks consumed and cannot see a pattern anywhere relating to what I am consuming and the troubles I am having. I am wondering if the pots, pans, cutting boards etc could be causing me to get gluttened without realizing it?

Some people think pots and pans make a difference and some don't. I got my own new pans after experiencing the same thing you did. I also started eliminating processed gluten-free foods. Got some better, but still struggle some. I definitely think a cured glutened cast iron skillet could be a problem. This "honeymoon" period followed by a return of symptoms is a common theme on this site. I felt great and got away with a lot of cheating for 1 1/2 years. Thought I had the problem licked, but it has turned into a real struggle with a lot of ups and downs. Doctors tend to get lost at this point and it seems like no one knows why this happens. Sensitivity progresses and you have to match that with more precautions. Do you eat processed gluten-free foods? Some think you develop other intolerances like dairy,corn,soy,eggs or others. Hang in there. I am sure you will start to figure things out, though it will take time and patience.

You should get a dedicated toaster, replace scratched non-stick pans, strainers and wooden utensils. Do you have your own dedicated condiments, butter and nut butters? You shouldn't be sharing those with the gluten eaters in your house. Also be sure to check any supplements and script and OTC meds you take as well as checking your toiletries if you haven't already. Many of us become much more sensitive to CC after we have healed a bit.

Another issue may be other intolerances that are now rearing their head. Soy and dairy are the most common. Like with gluten the reaction can be delayed which can make it hard to pinpoint even with a food diary. Try eliminating both and then adding them back in one at a time when you feel better.

If you have a significant other do make sure they brush their teeth before any kissing also.

I definitely think a cured glutened cast iron skillet could be a problem.

Place the pan in your oven. Run a self-cleaning cycle which will burn the seasoning and any proteins lurking about off. Then scrub it clean, re-season, and it'll be fine.