shayre

Gluten Free Playdoh?

Rate this topic

Hi. My son started kindergarden, and he's been playing with playdoh while he is there. I am unsure if I'm reacting to it or if I will react to it. Plus, I will be volunteering once per month in his class. I am super sensitive. I found two brands of dough...Aroma Dough and Colorations? Has anyone used these? Which one is better, and more like Playdoh? Has anyone found a cheaper place to buy them for a whole class? I went on Aroma dough's site, and Discount School Supply for Colorations.

I don't know about these brands. They are very expensive. If money isn't an issue, i'd say go for it. Or you could make your own. It might be fun for your son to take the playdough to school to share.

Here is the recipe from parents magazine.

Playing with regular play dough is too risky for kids with celiac disease, who can't eat gluten, a protein found in wheat and other grains (and also in most forms of play dough).

Try this recipe instead, which is safe for kids because it uses rice flour and cornstarch (which don't contain gluten).

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 cup water 1 teaspoon cooking oil

Food coloring, if desired

Directions:

Mix ingredients. Cook and stir on low heat for 3 minutes or until it forms a ball. Cool completely before storing in a sealable plastic bag.

We used Colorations from Discount School Supply and are happy with it. We also got new tools for their classes, as our children are super sensitive. We also have good cleanup protocols in place for using it, especially good hand washing before eating after playing with it.

Hi and thank you. Yes, it's terribly expensive. My son's teacher said that they use 25 little containers, and need replaced every 3 months or sooner. That is just for the morning kindergarden. The afternoon class would still be using regular playdoh in the same room and tables, etc. I guess that I will be forced to try to make it, and hope that it comes out identical to playdoh. Do you think that I could sub potato starch for the corn starch? It is just sitting in my pantry unused.

Hi and thank you. Yes, it's terribly expensive. My son's teacher said that they use 25 little containers, and need replaced every 3 months or sooner. That is just for the morning kindergarden. The afternoon class would still be using regular playdoh in the same room and tables, etc. I guess that I will be forced to try to make it, and hope that it comes out identical to playdoh. Do you think that I could sub potato starch for the corn starch? It is just sitting in my pantry unused.

I don't see why you couldn't use potato starch. Good luck