GlutenFreeManna

If You Could Start Any Business....

Rate this topic

Hypothetical question: If you had gobs of money or investors to start a new business that caters to the gluten free community what type of business would you start?

I would start a fast food chain that is 100% gluten-free. As much as I would also love having a bakery or an upscale restaurant or a specialty store I think that a 100% gluten-free fast food chain is lacking (at least I've never seen one) and would fill a need (convienent and safe gluten-free food fast) as well as potentially cater to the tastes of non-gluten-free eaters in order to be profitable. I'm not sure what type of menu I would have--I can think of lots of different spins however. Instead of just burgers and fries (the buns would just make the food too expensive I'm afraid) gluten-free fast Mexican/texmex like a gluten-free Taco Bell (but better tasting) or a gluten-free fried chicken place (rice flour for breading chicken is pretty cheap) or a gluten-free Chinese place. So maybe I would open several gluten-free fast food chains! Of course they would also have many options for other food allergies/intolerances and have strict training programs for preventing cc of those other allergens. So if someone is allergic to dairy or soy they would be able to order safely as well. Probably not happening in my lifetime, but I can dream right? :D

Hah! I want to do this. Well, technically it's expand my current business. I'd like to open a yoga studio (I currently teach out of my house, and there is no yoga in my city, though plenty not too far away). I feel like there's so much specialty stuff in the gluten free area, that I'm just not interested in the whole "do what they do but better" thing.

Good luck, though!

Bakeries, imho, are always nice, especially if they offer some food and I can go there with my daughter and meet friends there for lunch, tea, and some bread to take home.

I agree about the 100% gluten-free restaurant...I have this dream as well! My whole family says I should, too bad it's a lot of money to get that kind of thing going. There is ONE that I found in Asheville, NC called Posana Cafe http://www.posanacafe.com/! We drove through there on our way to the East Coast and I was SO excited to eat there. There must have been some kind of event as there was literally, zero parking. We drove around for 30 minutes, and left...18 hours from home and we couldn't get in! I was so disappointed...maybe some other time. So I can't say if it's yummy or not, but it seemed to be pretty busy when we drove by 12 times.

I would love to run a gluten free restaurant. Maybe a little cafe/bakery although it would be nice to have a one with food like friend chicken, pizza, pasta dishes.

I would have a restaurant/bakery that had at least two or three allergen-free meals... a lot of places are gluten-free but have cheese on everything, or use vegetable oil/soy flour in things. I would want a restaurant that was gluten-free (and probably MSG-free) AS WELL as having a soy-free and dairy-free menu. Obviously the whole place wouldn't be allergen-free, but there would be good separating practices in the kitchen and cleanliness throughout. And I would have a few sides like mashed sweet potatoes with olive/coconut oil instead of butter or roasted veggies that were okay for most allergies.

Basically a very allergy-friendly place. Hopefully it could cater to those who hardly ever eat out due to fears of CC, or due to there just not being menu items they can have.

I'd definitely open up a bakery because that's whatI love to do. But I think I would also start something like being a "baking coach." I would forsee going to people's houses and help them learn to bake stuff, as well as develop the basic fundamentals for understanding how you can tweak any recipe for your needs. Cookbooks are really one sided.

Fun topic!

I would open a gluten free dedicated BBQ restaurant. We would have smoked meats with bbq sauce, fries, buns..the works!

Here where I live BBQ is HUGE, I have really missed going to the BBQ restaurants.

Yesterday I was daydreaming about starting a gluten-free vegan food truck. I want portable whole foods that are comforting and delicious. (finger foods, foods in cups, etc) And amazing brownies or some other dessert!

Good question. Part of me would love to be trained to become the executive chef at a michelin-starred restaurant but there is no such thing in Canada plus most high-end restaurants are safe to eat at anyway. And being on my feet all day would kill me. Additionally, I would feel married to my restaurant and as I crave my freedom rather than going the restaurant route, if I physically could do it I would start a lovely small commercial kitchen at our house in Europe where there are tons of celiac people who are yearning to learn how to scratch cook/bake gluten-free. I love to teach culinary classes already so am halfway there. And as part of the job I would grow lots of herbs to use in the classes and sell to restaurants (and have someone do the planting and harvesting as I would be unable to myself). PLUS my husband and I would take English-speaking travelers all over Croatia and be private travel guides. The focus would be foraging for food, truffle hunting, olive oil routes, going to food markets and food festivals, and so on. I already have a group of women from Canada who have asked us to do the above and they said money is no object. :) I was recently asked to do professional food writing so am thrilled.

Until then I will continue being a professional recipe tester, teach cooking and cook fabulous food! :) I can cook just as well as high-end restaurants so there is no need for me to eat out (except on those very rare occasions). Am even dabbling in molecular gastronomy (i.e. sous vide) and charcuterie.

I would open a vegan, gluten-free restaurant. I so wish I had something like that near me.