GFreeMO

Milk Substitute For Cooking/baking

Rate this topic

I had my first successful dairy free baking today. I made the Betty Crocker gluten free choc. chip cookies with oil in place of the butter. They turned out great. I am so thankful that the choc. chips are dairy free!!

I now need to find a safe NUT free milk alternative for my pancakes and mashed pot. etc.

I know that Rice Dream is out. What are some safe rice milks? I can't have any nut or coconut milks so rice would be best. I found Pacific Foods rice beverage. I wonder if it's good for cooking.

What about Hemp? I say that because I bought some (haven't tried it, I'm chicken) since it doesn't have carageenan in it (trying to reduce iodine).

There is also hemp milk. I use unsweetened coconut milk (drink not canned) for my mashed potatoes and for baking, however before I discovered coocnut milk I would just substitute chicken broth for the milk in mashed potatoes and water worked fine for most pancake recipes. For butter I use light olive oil, palm shortening or Earth Balance (I just recently discovered tghe one that is soy free and dairy free and it's yummy).

Hemp milk sounds like it might be good. Any certain brand to look for that is safe?

Coconut milk makes me sick with digestive issues. I think it has a laxative effect on some people.

Where can I get palm shortening? Brand?

Thanks! ;)

Hemp milk sounds like it might be good. Any certain brand to look for that is safe?

Coconut milk makes me sick with digestive issues. I think it has a laxative effect on some people.

Where can I get palm shortening? Brand?

Thanks! ;)

I use Spectrum brand: http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

I use it for greasing pans mostly but it also works well for making frosting or in baked goods.

What are some safe rice milks? I can't have any nut or coconut milks so rice would be best. I found Pacific Foods rice beverage. I wonder if it's good for cooking.

When I was dairy free, I used Pacific Rice Milks--both the plain and the vanilla. It cooks up well--the vanilla is great for homemade puddings and things like that. I never had a problem subbing either one for milk.

I just use water in pancakes. With the buckwheat flavor, other seasonings and the toppings, expecting milk to add any extra flavoring that you'd notice doesn't happen.

I have put water, olive oil, garlic and a splash of vinegar in potatoes. (I am not dairy free now, but sometimes I do stuff that way anyway, because I don't do lactose in regular milk)

You can try Vance's Dairy free powder if the other things don't appeal to you or you cannot eat them. It is potato starch based.