Googles

Early Signs

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has early signs before the D that they have been glutened (when you don't know you have eaten something with gluten). For me I have D as the first sign and don't have much warning with that. I am starting a practicum where I will be working with patients for 50 minute stretches and am worried about becoming ill during one of them.

I was wondering if anyone has early signs before the D that they have been glutened (when you don't know you have eaten something with gluten). For me I have D as the first sign and don't have much warning with that. I am starting a practicum where I will be working with patients for 50 minute stretches and am worried about becoming ill during one of them.

I start to get really gassy and have lots of churning going on. I know when I start to feel that way, I need to be prepared to find the nearest bathroon ASAP. I also feel sleepy, to the point I feel drunk. :(

Sometimes I get tingly in my hands and feet, sometimes my tongue tingles.

I understand your concerns but my signs may not be your signs. I get severely depressed and used to get a migraine and then the D would hit 3 days later.

If you don't get glutened often then simply keep on as you are. If you do have accidental glutenings then do your best to avoid them by going with just whole gluten free food and bring something safe to eat at all times so you don't have to risk a caf or restaurant.

For those of us who were very ill before diagnosis and may have had accidents in public or at home with family or friends there can be a great deal of anxiety about this. Mine was so bad I became agoraphobic and almost never left my house for years. For me counseling and some antianxiety meds helped a great deal. After I could get out and about I would bring a change of clothes and Immodium whenever I went anywhere. I found I never needed them but it was a comfort to know I had them if needed.

Remind yourself also that even people without celiac can get sick from a tummy virus or whatever. If you do end up having to excuse yourself or call in sick well that is something everyone has to do at times celiac or not.

I bloat and my abdomen gets so distended. I also have a lot of rumbling going on. Usually in 1-2 days the big D hits.