This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bone Pain & Itchy Skin

AVR1962

AVR1962 Collaborator

Perhaps someone can help with this! I have been having an odd bone pain different than bone pain in the past. This started at my elbows and then would feel like something shattering thru my arm, very painful. It would last for a few seconds and would be gone and then return repeatedly for several days. I upped my B12 and vit D and was taking Advil to help with a possible inflammation. Something must have worked as it did go away.

Then I started itching all over. No patches, no redness in skin, skin is not dry, just itchy. So I stopped the Advil but still itchy.

I went thru my whole med cabinet, shampoos, everything.

A family member told me she was having the same reaction to corn products and when she went off corn these cleared up. So I am going to try it but just wondered if this sound familiar to anyone and those with corn allergies, is this a symptom?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

mmm it might be your allergic (midly) to a medication. The ichyness sounds like what gaviscon did to me (ichy, no bumps no nothin). It went away after a few days.

The bone pain however sounds like you hit a nerve or something that lays right in that area. That is if you bump it just right. My elbows have been known to do that as well :/

YoloGx Rookie

I have to take minerals every day, twice a day. What really made the positive change was taking silica drops, lots of calcium, mag., zinc, trace minerals, vitamin D. I also take nattokinase and some pro-biotics on an empty stomach to help heal the damaged villi.

Hopefully you just have another food sensitivity or food allergy. I would try testing out the common ones first.

Its also possible related to DH--which iodine can exacerbate as well as gluten.

For me I even went on a grain free diet, but in the end, I discovered it did not help me. The healthier I ate, the worse the itching got.

As it turns out I finally discovered I have salicylate sensitivity--after having a summer very high in salicylates from my beautifiul vegetable garden (tomatoes, cucumbers, zukes, herbs etc.). I was avoiding grains, so made many zucchini/sunflower seed pancakes, casseroles with eggplant, tomatoes and zukes and mucho wonderful beet stews and the like seasoned with our hot peppers, basil and oregano etc. from the garden. I itched like a madwoman and could hardly sleep a wink--so I beefed up on even more herbs to help me sleep, which of course they didn't since they were all high in salicylates.

Taking the Advil could have made you go over the top in that regard. Hope you don't have it, but it might be worth checking out on the internet.

If you do have it, there are many vegetables, herbs, fruits and nuts that are high on the salicylate list. Even though its a b%$@#, its worth the trouble to stop the itching etc. All by itself Salicylate sensitivity can cause leaky gut (i.e., not to speak of the fact you already have gluten sensitivity which causes the same thing--a double whammy!). The scratching can lead to nasty infections if you are not careful.

Taking hot baths with epsom salts helps. A little goes a long ways if you want to avoid nausea and excessive tiredness. Going off high salicylate soaps and shampoos also helps. Ditto with lotions etc. Coconut is out, even coconut based charcoal filters used to filter most bottled water. Use spring water instead if this fits your profile.

People who have had or still have things like anxiety, depression and ADD and skin conditions often have this kind of sensitivity to salicylates--not to mention bone pain.

Its kind of like overdosing on aspirin all the time. Its hard to be completely salicylate free since its in most everything; plants like it to protect themselves from the elements and bugs.

With Salicylate sensitivity, one ends up eating this boring English diet, but if it makes you feel better, its worth it. You begin to appreciate simpler foods. Think making veggie smoothies with celery, parslely and iceburg lettuce as well as eating a lot of chicken and rice with cabbage or brussell sprouts or green beans with garlic and salt as seasoning.

Be careful of the oils too. Safflower and sunflower are basically IT. Olive oil is OUT. Too much salicylates.

Fortunately maple syrup is fine. Most other sugars are not. Even stevia is problematic since it is an herb.

I find that taking the homeopathic "sulpher" also helps--the pills, not the tincture since tinctures are often made with gluten based alcohol. It is good against things like eczema and rashes and no doubt, itchies.

If you have a problem with the lactose, generally you can use the pills as a "mother" and add a few of them to a bottle of water, percuss it a bunch of times. It should last you a month. You can check out how to make water based homeopathics on eHow.

Good luck!

Bea

AVR1962 Collaborator

As it turns out I finally discovered I have salicylate sensitivity--after having a summer very high in salicylates from my beautifiul vegetable garden (tomatoes, cucumbers, zukes, herbs etc.). I was avoiding grains, so made many zucchini/sunflower seed pancakes, casseroles with eggplant, tomatoes and zukes and mucho wonderful beet stews and the like seasoned with our hot peppers, basil and oregano etc. from the garden. I itched like a madwoman and could hardly sleep a wink--so I beefed up on even more herbs to help me sleep, which of course they didn't since they were all high in salicylates.

Taking the Advil could have made you go over the top in that regard. Hope you don't have it, but it might be worth checking out on the internet.

If you do have it, there are many vegetables, herbs, fruits and nuts that are high on the salicylate list. Even though its a b%$@#, its worth the trouble to stop the itching etc. All by itself Salicylate sensitivity can cause leaky gut (i.e., not to speak of the fact you already have gluten sensitivity which causes the same thing--a double whammy!). The scratching can lead to nasty infections if you are not careful.

People who have had or still have things like anxiety, depression and ADD and skin conditions often have this kind of sensitivity to salicylates--not to mention bone pain.

Be careful of the oils too. Safflower and sunflower are basically IT. Olive oil is OUT. Too much salicylates.

I find that taking the homeopathic "sulpher" also helps--the pills, not the tincture since tinctures are often made with gluten based alcohol. It is good against things like eczema and rashes and no doubt, itchies.

Good luck!

Bea

Oh my word, you described in prfect detail what I have been doing. My husband was put on a vegetarian diet so I ahve been trying all kinds of veggies and lately been eating lots of zucchini, tomatoes and cumcumbers. And I added Omaga 3 into my supplements so I have been receiving the oil as well. I will look up the sulpher pills and the diet. Thanks so much for your time and your reply, it was extrememly helpful!

YoloGx Rookie

Oh my word, you described in prfect detail what I have been doing. My husband was put on a vegetarian diet so I ahve been trying all kinds of veggies and lately been eating lots of zucchini, tomatoes and cumcumbers. And I added Omaga 3 into my supplements so I have been receiving the oil as well. I will look up the sulpher pills and the diet. Thanks so much for your time and your reply, it was extrememly helpful!

Here its my turn to "Oh Wow!" I thought maybe I was going over the top, but somehow had the intuition it might be helpful.

Unfortunately salicylate sensitivity isn't that hugely uncommon, even though its is rarely recognized/looked for by the AMA or even alternative docs in the USA even though ADD and assorted related conditions are becoming more common--not to mention itching that drives one nuts.

They do recognize it more in children. But I didn't get it as far as I know until I was an adult, and even then it wasn't that bad until roughly 5 years ago--and of course much worse after last summer's extravaganza. Now I even react to aloe vera on my skin. Skin is fine (I put it on a burn without thinking), but my nervous system went wild from it, twitching and itching at night. It is very high in sals. There is a support group online and much related info on Sue Dengate's allergy site. There are lists of high, medium and low salicylate foods online.

On the positive side, by avoiding most herbs I now do well with homeopathics...

I think fish oil is fine by the way. Ultimately, you should just see how your body feels taking it. Coconut oil however is a real no no for the salicylate sensitive person--and it seems like its in most everything for body care.

Good luck!

Bea

sariesue Explorer

If you do a lot of activities that have your elbows bent you could have ulnar nerve entrapment. It's like carpal tunnel only it effects the nerve that runs through your elbow.

bartfull Rising Star

Advil uses corn as a filler. When I took Advil last week, I got the insomnia back immediately, and the psoriasis showed up the next day. I knew I was poisoning myself, but I was in pain and had to take something. After about a week of taking the Advil I was finally able to stop. The insomnia cleared up right away, but the psoriasis will probably take two or three weeks to clear up again.

It looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and have my pharmacist make me some ibuprophen without wheat or corn. That'll cost an arm and a leg no doubt, but it beats suffering like I have been lately. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AVR1962 Collaborator

There are lists of high, medium and low salicylate foods online.

I found it and read the list and I am more than willing to bet this has been my problem. I did a liver cleanse back in Nov that made me super sensative to almost everything it seems. We went to Greece for the weekend a few weeks ago, we live in Germany. I felt great! It seemd to me like the sun was helping my body absorb the nutrients which I have had alot of trouble with. Was eating lots of Greek salads filled with tomatoes and cucumbers. Came back and was making the same type salads, eating lots of cooked tomatoes with zucchini and olive oil. I got so sick, felt like gluten and I know I can't have high fructose, symptoms same from both but with this I got really really depressed more so than I would when I would get gluten. I felt like I was back to "square one" and I could not figure out what in the world I had gotten into. I checked everything I was using.....found out Baker's Joy cooking spray has wheat flour and the margarita mixer I was using had high fructose.

Anyway, no more zucchini, tomatoes and cumcumbers for me right now. Avocados and olive oil are also on that list so I will take them out as well. For now I'll stop the Omega 3 and perhaps experiment later. Thanks so much!

AVR1962 Collaborator

If you do a lot of activities that have your elbows bent you could have ulnar nerve entrapment. It's like carpal tunnel only it effects the nerve that runs through your elbow.

Maybe this is what happened. I had been lifting weights and had not lifted in months. I am always really careful not to hyper-extend but there may have been too much pressure on my elbow joints perhaps.

YoloGx Rookie

Maybe this is what happened. I had been lifting weights and had not lifted in months. I am always really careful not to hyper-extend but there may have been too much pressure on my elbow joints perhaps.

It really could be the problem.

However for me this happened way too much for it to be tolerable. Thus this is why I take all those mineral supplements and nattokinase etc. I listed previously.

I have read elsewhere here on celiac.com that many folks with severe gluten sensitivity are low in silica. Thus horsetail is recommended. However since I am sensitive to salicylates, that option didn't work well for me. The silica drops by Jarro however make a world of difference for me, as well as special calcium (E-zorb) that is more absorpable. Silica helps one grow both bone and make and repair connective tissue.

Now I can do modified push ups; whereas before, I was told by my old chiropractor I would never be able to do them again. I have to start slow, but I can do them even if I have stopped for a while and not ruin myself like I always did in the past. I am building myself up again since I was sick with the flu for a few weeks this summer after being glutened from using a hotel microwave --and then got too busy afterwards rather than take it easy (sigh!). Now that I am well again finally, I should be able to do quite a few push ups again by just doing a few more each day or every other day -- as I have before. I was up to 100 a day. Am also using light free weights.

When I go off the E-zorb and just use regular calcium citrate supplements (even using all my other minerals and cod liver oil), I also find my joints get weaker again after a couple of weeks. E-zorb is apparently 90% absorpable. Whereas calcium citrate is only 60% absorpable. Not everyone needs the greater absorption; however some of us do.

I was one of those people who used to peel her fingernails when she was a kid and had all kinds of ridges and white spots on my nails through most of my adulthood, and no body in my hair at all until I went off all trace gluten nearly 4 years ago. Originally I thought it was normal for my hair to fall out all the time. Now I know different.

Same with my teeth. They didn't harden until I was mostly off all gluten. And now, they are even better being off gluten completely--plus the better calcium etc. makes it so I am not getting carries anymore. And the nattokinase keeps away any possible gum inflammation (as well as inflammation and scar tissue elsewhere in the body, including healing the damaged villi in the intestines). It makes a noticeable difference.

This is my story, however it might apply to some of you too.

Bea

Archived