cassidyred

14Mo Old, Tested, Waiting For Results

Rate this topic

The good news is there is so much information out here that this change wont be impossible if my sons diagnosis is celiacs. we had the endoscopy done tuesday and they did 8 biopsies. gi showed me the pics of the swelling and lesions which were not pretty to look at. she said the 2 most common reasons are celiacs and crohns so waiting the week for the official lab results is giving me a chance to figure out what changes we will be making. since my son is so little, he really wont know any other style of living by the time he get to school.

we have 3 other children in the house and i work full time so thank goodness this forum will save me a lot of time. i can really use an immidiate cheat sheet of what brands really are ok so i can get him started on good foods and brands known not to cc with gluten foods when processing. he also is allergic to milk and has no dairy in his diet. so any and all help is much appreciated. i know there are a lot of posts on here that probably already address this so if someone knows the direct ones u can just link me too. what a frustrating issue this is. of course we still can get a different diagnosis :-)

a cheat sheet? Well... i don't have one, but there is a book i think is called the gluten free list 2010/2011.

Also, kraft and a few other companies will disclose wheat if it is in their products, so that helps.

But in general, it isn't too hard. Odviously things like all natural stuff is fine (meat, veggies, fruit), i know chex is good (5 flavors gluten free), etc.

I would recommend going to the website http://www.ceceliasmarketplace.com/ . they have a yearly updated grocery store shopping guide that will list brands that are gluten free, and they also have a gluten free/casein free guide, although I don't know that this will be enough for dairy free.

First thing you should know: finding fully dairy free and gluten free foods is a challenge. It will cut down on your choices, big-time, because dairy is often added even more in gluten-free products to help make up for the lack of gluten as a binding agent (same with potatoes, various gums, corn, and tapioca). You might want to look into batch cooking, where you make a lot of food during one day of the week, to last you for the rest of the week when you don't have time to cook.

Also, if the doc hasn't mentioned, if the test comes back positive, it is recommended that both parents and all siblings get tested as well, every few years, as your chances of having this disease are now much higher (1 in 22), and since it can trigger at any time.

We had one family member test positive and didn't know we should test. Cue 8 years later and we finally got it all sorted. Three more in the family had the disease, and another tested negative but seems to be gluten intolerant, based on symptoms. Two of those diagnosed later had no gut symptoms whatsoever, so it was a bit of a surprise to get diagnosed!

For a quick down and dirty guide for what to make ASAP, though, I'd go to whole foods. Lundberg rice, fresh veggies and fruits (cook or puree yourself), and whole meats. Take care with beans, as these can often be processed in facilities with wheat.

Crown Prince brand canned fish is supposed to be gluten free. We make rice balls with fish inside as a quick food. Gluten free soy sauce used to stir fry veggies is also a quick food to whip up. Gluten free hummus (it'll typically say on the container) will make a good dip for meat or veggies. Hard boiled eggs or scrambled eggs, especially with veggies added.

yah my 2 yr old was tested last year and was negative but i think i will request for it again. i am thinking based on my own issues i may have it but always figured it was soemthing else. this is all very overwhelming but the only real thing that is bothersome is how expensive food is. i live in a tiny little rural town and there is a coop-on 30 miles away i will look into.