love2travel

French Laundry Gluten-Free Flour Blend!

Rate this topic

The French Laundry is one of the top restaurants in the U.S. - it is incredible. Anyway, they have come out with a AP gluten-free flour blend called C4C (cup for cup). Pretty cool, albeit a bit pricey at $19.95 for 3 lb at Williams Sonoma. The ingredients are not unique (except it does include milk powder which is in many recipes but not all) but it still intrigues me - wonder what the ratios are?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/gluten-free-flour-from-the-french-laundry.html?_r=2&utm_source=Triumph+Dining+List&utm_campaign=12c2f93ca7-Sept7_Newsletter&utm_medium=email

"It is a blend of flours from white and brown rice, tapioca and potatoes, with potato starch, cornstarch and milk powder"

Too bad about the milk powder. Those of us unable to have milk won't be able to try it. It actually sounds similar to Pamela's baking and pancke mix which has milk in it too.

"It is a blend of flours from white and brown rice, tapioca and potatoes, with potato starch, cornstarch and milk powder"

Too bad about the milk powder. Those of us unable to have milk won't be able to try it. It actually sounds similar to Pamela's baking and pancke mix which has milk in it too.

I know. :( I used to use milk powder in my bread recipes but cannot any longer. I liked the structure/texture of doughs that milk powder gives. I have never bought flour blends as I do up my own but sometimes wonder whether there are actually decent commercial blends out there!

I know. :( I used to use milk powder in my bread recipes but cannot any longer. I liked the structure/texture of doughs that milk powder gives. I have never bought flour blends as I do up my own but sometimes wonder whether there are actually decent commercial blends out there!

I really like King Arthur multi-purpose flour. I mostly use it for their pizza crust recipe but recently I made gluten-free popovers with it and they were Amazing!

As far as the milk powder I wonder if there is a substitute that would give the same properties that milk gives? Maybe almond flour for the protein? or powdered eggs or gelatin? I'll have to experiement someday. :D