moose07

High Altitude Gluten Free Baking

Rate this topic

Most gluten free mixes don't say anything about changing for high altitude but I'm just wondering if there is something I would need to change when I bake? I made a cake recently from a pamela's mix and it didn't rise very much.

This is information taken from allrecipes.com:

Lower air pressure at high elevations causes air bubbles trapped in the batter to rise at a faster rate. When this happens, cakes rise very fast and high...then fall. As a result, you end up with a dense, dry cake.

So, what do I do?

• You may need to change the proportion of ingredients in a recipe.
  • You may need to raise the baking temperature as well.

Most cake recipes need no modification below or up to 3,000 feet. Above that, it's often necessary to adjust recipes slightly, by decreasing the leavening and sugar (or both) and increasing the liquids. Butter, which melts in the oven, is considered a liquid; eggs, however, are not--they act as stabilizers in baked goods.

Also, there is a lot of good information here:

http://www.pillsburybaking.com/bakers_corner/high_altitude_baking.aspx

Most gluten free mixes don't say anything about changing for high altitude but I'm just wondering if there is something I would need to change when I bake? I made a cake recently from a pamela's mix and it didn't rise very much.

I make cupcakes (instead of cakes)at 7500 ft. with excellent results...both Betty Crocker, and a few days ago Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix.I usually have to add only about 2 minutes to the cooking time. I like a cake- like cupcake, and used 3 eggs as recommended by Pamela's.