This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Much Does Celiac Effect Emotion?

Guest dlf1021

Guest dlf1021

hello

i've been gluten free for almost two months and have found that i've been increasingly irritable and moody in the past two months that i've been on the diet. i've always had issues with depression, but this seems to go beyond it. the slightest thing gets me worked up and i am quick to snap at people. my mother keeps making comments that it's just "normal teenage stuff", but i've never behaved like this.

has anyone else experienced behavioral changes similar to this along with the gluten-free diet?

i need to change something or find a way to relax myself before i make everyone hate me :unsure:

thanks for any imput

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest LisaB

Deb,

I am sure everyone isn't going to hate you, but I know how you feel and it feels awful to be out of control. Celiac really does effect your hormones and by extention your feelings, reactions and inability to handle things and react properly.

There are many reasons for this that I have read about and seem to explain why, but one that I have done research on lately is the fact that having Celiac can also cause your immune system to attack your thyroid as well and your thyroid not working properly has a strong impact on the other glands. On top of a possible attack on the thyroid, another problem that may develop in a Celiac patient is the malabsorbtion of lipids (fat) and lipids are needed in the creation of many (if not all) hormones and in your teenage years that is an especially bad time to have that problem. The reason, from what I have read, is the fact that there are three needed elements to fat metabolism, two of which the body can manufactor and the other is Pantothenic Acid (B5) which has to be absorbed from an outside source or our food and so if your not absorbing your food properly, chances are you have a lack of B5 in your system, thus you may have hormonal problems, acne, and other problems associated with a lack of lipid absorbtion. If you want to know more, do a search on B5 and you will find acne products for sale out there that explain more on the subject.

Also, research has noted the link between B6 and depression in Celiac patients, as well as its effect on the nerves (making them "raw"). All the B vitamins help energy and mood. Then there is Magnesium, another problem for us and personally, when I started supplementing it, my nerves and sleep improved greatly and B5 helped my mood and more. We have been talking about it a lot on a thread, "Gallbladder Flush" and there is so much good info there you may want to read.

There is so much more, I can't think of anything else at the moment because I am tired. Hope this gives you some hope, I don't know why it is that as soon as switching to a gluten-free diet symptoms seem to escalate, but they do, or at least they did for me too.

Guest laughs8

I can't really contribute anything medically related to the mood-issue, but I can reassure you that having to constantly worry about what you are eating definitely takes an emotional toll on everyone. I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, and there are times when the thought of asking another waiter another question about the content of their food is just absolutely devastating. Like I said, I can't offer any solutions, but you can reassure your mom that even the most even-keeled celiac (I consider myself fairly level-headed) goes through some mood swings at times. It may help to limit the amount of times you check up on this and other message boards, as strange as that sounds--they get a little addictive and paranoia-inducing if you aren't careful.

-Emily

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You aren't the only one. I have so many emotions that I go through being 18 and gluten-free. Honestly, it does effet me greatly. I developed an axiety problem over it and I then get deressed about that and about this new life I am liveing. I want to be healthy and feel how I did before. I notice me being snappy more and I just don't want to have anything to do with anyone but then I want to be around people. It is just insane. I am letitng you know that you are not lone.

Kristina

• 2 months later...
celiac3270 Collaborator

I, too, have nothing medical to add, but find myself really snappy and irritated. I'm probably about 14 weeks now on the diet, but have felt this way for weeks. I used to get mopey and depressed every now and then, but now find myself really mad, irritated, and snappy at people quite often...again, nothing medical, but just reassurance that this is fairly common....

-celiac3270

billfl Newbie

It is interesting to me to read about the emotional effects of celiac for teenagers. I started a gluten-free diet about 90 days ago, and have also noted that I have become very short tempered, so it's not just a teenager thingy. The last time I was a teenager was 50 some years ago. I don't think that I am depressed, but like one of the other posters, I am starting to avoid people in order to avoid acting poorly. I am not on any medication, so being cranky is probably related to the celiac thing. This is another example of how these forums provide info that never comes from the medical profession. Thanks for sharing.

taneil Apprentice

I have thyroid stuff and haven't had it checked since going gluten-free, but I am not taking medication for it yet. So I keep thinking my anger and short temper with my little girl is because of my thyroid issues, but it sounds like it could be just celiac disease stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ashley462 Rookie

I feel better on the diet.

3BeanSalad Newbie

When I first found out my three girls are Celiacs, I was sad, but when I found out I needed the diet, too, I was angry for quite a while. Still am, actually.

It's stressful!

I cried the first time I walked through the cereal aisle trying to find gluten-free cereal. (how naive!)

My pre-teen is already having devastating emotional sways. She has only been trying to stay gluten-free less than a year, and she misses her "real" pizza. and more. When she cheats, her mood swings get really bad (like she's 9 going on 17!)

HOW do I get this through to her that she needs to stay gluten-free!!!!!!!???????

(especially now that I see from other posters that this is likely part of being a teen/pre-teen celiac?)

celiac3270 Collaborator
My pre-teen is already having devastating emotional sways. She has only been trying to stay gluten-free less than a year, and she misses her "real" pizza. and more. When she cheats, her mood swings get really bad (like she's 9 going on 17!)

Okay, I have nothing more to say about irritability, but regarding pizza...just try this. Chebe is AMAZING!!! I missed "real pizza" more than anything when I started, but this stuff is just as good. You can't get it in stores, but here's their website: Open Original Shared Link. Don't buy the pizza crust thingy (which doesn't taste as good as the bread mix), but get the bread and follow the instructions of adding oil, or whatever. Then, mush it into a round pan like a pizza and cook it in the oven. Once the crust is cooked, add the sauce, cheese, put it in for another 4 minutes, or so, and it's done. This is seriously amazing. Try it.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

She is going to have to realize it herself that she can't be cheating. Doesn't it make her feel awful? I never cheat but sometimes get some by accident and it is hell. Maybe she needs to learn about the damage occuring to her insides even if she is "symptom free" other than the moodswings.

Kristina

• 3 weeks later...
Allycanada Newbie

Hey

I got diagnosed about 7 months ago, but have been having problems for about 2 years. I found myself getting reallu irritated and i would push away those who cared about me most, until i realized that most of my problem came from not eating. I would often get so frustrated with the same meals or with not being able to find anything to eat that I would just not eat (which is not a good idea). One day I was walking around with my bf, and he realized I was getting hungry, frustrated cause I couldn't find anywhere to eat, and who would o f thought....irritated. My advice to all of you out there who are feeling irritated, maybe depressed, etc, try to keep a normal gluten-free diet and you will feel so much better

byuiemily Newbie

It's so interesting to hear everyone talk about how they become more irritable ON the diet. I'm completely the opposite. When I'm on the diet I'm alot more happy and just overall more pleasant to be around, and as soon as I start cheating on my diet, I can become snappy and depressed. I wonder how much of the emotion that we go through is psychological, because I could understand why someone might become depressed and irritable while on the diet, especially if they're having a really hard time giving up the foods that they used to love to eat. All I can say is that I wish all of you the very best on your diets, and I hope that you can somehow work through the emotions that send you for a loop. Keep up the good work! :D

Archived