This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How/why Did You Choose Your Member Name?

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

Love2travel is pretty self explanatory but others are not so obvious. This has piqued my curiosity for ages. Do some of you mind sharing what made you choose your member name and what it means? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Manna is the bread from Heaven that God fed to the Israelites when they wandered in the wilderness. They grumbled and complained to God about missing the things they used to eat while in Egypt. Instead of sending them back into the slavery of Egypt so they could have the foods they longed for, God gave them manna and quail. In Deuteronomy 8:3 it explains that God let them be hungry and then fed them manna in order to teach them that they cannot live on bread alone but must live on the Word of the Lord. This user name is my reminder to myself that although God has not allowed me to eat many foods (especially regular bread) he has given me many, many things as my "manna". He has provided greatly for me. When I tire of the foods I have been given to eat and start longing for food that makes me sick I am reminded of how the children of Israel complained (and it did not go well for them when they complained) and what God's ultimate goal was in giving them manna to eat. I am reminded to turn to God for my strength and be content with what I have.

bartfull Rising Star

Bart was the best dog I ever had. When he would do something stupid, like try to uproot an entire TREE by grabbing a low hanging branch and tugging with all his might (I think he wanted me to throw the "stick" for him), I would call him Bartless, as in "Bart the hopeless dog".

When he would do something smart like ask for his tennis ball by name (yes, I taught him to say "ball"), I would call him Bartfull, as in "Bart the wonderful dog".

I had just been talking about him to a friend the day I signed up, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

I wish I had thought it out a little better - a lot of folks on the site think I am a man named Bart instead of the woman who was bart's "mom".

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Bart was the best dog I ever had. When he would do something stupid, like try to uproot an entire TREE by grabbing a low hanging branch and tugging with all his might (I think he wanted me to throw the "stick" for him), I would call him Bartless, as in "Bart the hopeless dog".

When he would do something smart like ask for his tennis ball by name (yes, I taught him to say "ball"), I would call him Bartfull, as in "Bart the wonderful dog".

I had just been talking about him to a friend the day I signed up, and it was the first thing that came to mind.

I wish I had thought it out a little better - a lot of folks on the site think I am a man named Bart instead of the woman who was bart's "mom".

Gee I think I may have lived next door to you at one time. :lol: I used to watch this huge dog jump up and hang by his jaws from a tree branch over and over all day long. Quite amusing, kept him busy and quiet, well except for an occasional growl. Glad he never got loose though.

As for my screen name I used to live in a house with lots of large pine trees that were a favorite roosting place for crows. I loved to take pictures of them. Yes I know that crows are not Ravens but... I also like to craft in stained glass and once did a panel from a picture I had taken so thus Ravenwoodglass.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I chose Bubba's Mom because that's my dog's name...and I think of him as one of my kids. LOL

kareng Grand Master

You can go to your profile and stick a signature on here. Like Suzy or Bart the Dog's Mom.

My screen name is, big surprise, my name! How thoughtful! How original!

love2travel Mentor

Gee I think I may have lived next door to you at one time. :lol: I used to watch this huge dog jump up and hang by his jaws from a tree branch over and over all day long. Quite amusing, kept him busy and quiet, well except for an occasional growl. Glad he never got loose though.

As for my screen name I used to live in a house with lots of large pine trees that were a favorite roosting place for crows. I loved to take pictures of them. Yes I know that crows are not Ravens but... I also like to craft in stained glass and once did a panel from a picture I had taken so thus Ravenwoodglass.

Yours was one of those I just could not figure out! Now I know. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

alex is the first part of my name and the 11602 is the date 11-6-02, which is the day my husband and I got together. It worked for me because he has been my rock through everything that has happened.

curlyfries Contributor

Several years ago I was working with special ed kids at a middle school and I had a long, curly perm. One of the students who was very dear to me called me curlyfries. ^_^

Come to think of it, another student called me She-nay-nay.......maybe I should've used that! :lol:

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm luvs2eat on a recipe board and peeps have asked the same question... and I always answer... "Um... Duh..."

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I started getting sick with Celiac after I married my husband who was fond of Pita bread. He ate it with every meal. I had been on Atkins Low Carb and Protein Power diets for the last 5 years and I only ate chocolate for my carb allowance each day. I did very well on that diet, but in the back of my mind I thought this can't go on forever...what about my health? I was so wrong. Well, when I got married I decided that whole wheat pita bread was a "much healthier" choice than the chocolate I was spending my carbs on. Not to mention there was a gorgeous man feeding me bites of delicious things on pita bread. So little wonder I started having headaches and sleeping all the time and diarrhea, and depression and anxiety and bone and joint and muscle pain that started and got worse and worse until I thought I was going to die. I went from being an active healthy professional woman to being the depressed woman in the commericals who is staring at the wall. I gained weight like crazy from 120 to 200 pounds.Suddenly I'm chronically ill and Dr.'s think I'm "mental"...with ever more symptoms and nothing testing positive...I had to be in need of therapy. Then the sores started. Open weepy oozing sores that drove me mad at night. Still no Dr. believing me...now it was called neurotic excoriation.

Fast forward through 7 years of slow motion gut wrenching depression, despair, and sickness. And my husband wanted a divorce because he had "Put up with this long enough." Ha! I became so depressed I lost the will to live and stopped eating entirely for 3 full weeks...I wanted to die. Miraculously I started to feel wonderful...I lost weight rapidly, my muscles started working, my thoughts cleared up, my headaches were gone....I maintained as long as I could but eventually started eating again. I wondered if I had an eating disorder. Then comenced another year of illness called Fibromyalgia. Everything came back. I knew it was something to do with eating. So I went back to just eating meat and drinking water...I knew it was a food allergy but didn't know why. The Dr. thought I was crazy to just eat meat and drink water..suspected eating disorder and attention seeking and herpes for the sores...yeah right...

Yet again my mysterious illness all cleared up. My weight went down. I gave him his divorce. Moved to my own place. Proceeded to make it a home by baking bread and cakes and cookies and got sick again.

Never made that connection until I found celiac.com one year ago. When I read about Celiac I suddenly knew that is what I had all along!!! It explained everything. Why I did well on Atkins...why I did worse when I exchanged chocolate for bread! Why I did better when I ate nothing at all than when I ate like others! Why whenever I played Susy Homemaker it resulted in a flare of "Fibromyalgia"! Why migraine headaches were really My Grain Headaches! Why my sores healed when I ate meat but flared if I ate anything else!

So when I needed a name....the safest food for me is meat...and I'm eating it for good.

I was probably one of those that was self-explanatory, but I took the opportunity to tell it anyway.

As I proceed on this journey I am ever more convinced that Paleo is the right way of eating for me...so I'm pleased with my name. It is the only food that is always safe for me...Little did I know that wheat could destroy my body and my sanity and my marriage. Such a simple secret it was...but it was well-hidden for years....

hmm

Man cannot live by Bread Alone....indeed.

That is why I eat meat for good. :rolleyes:

come dance with me Enthusiast

I love to dance but often times people are worn out before I am so they sit out then I'm left alone on the dance floor :/

I'm not a serious dancer I mean in pubs/clubs with rock or metal music. My mum dances a fair bit but with arthritis in her legs it's hard for her to keep it up.

sb2178 Enthusiast

College assigned combination of initials and numbers. Weirdly enough, it's stuck with me as a handy, never already-claimed username. (Shhh... don't tell anyone!)

Harpgirl Explorer

Manna is the bread from Heaven that God fed to the Israelites when they wandered in the wilderness. They grumbled and complained to God about missing the things they used to eat while in Egypt. Instead of sending them back into the slavery of Egypt so they could have the foods they longed for, God gave them manna and quail. In Deuteronomy 8:3 it explains that God let them be hungry and then fed them manna in order to teach them that they cannot live on bread alone but must live on the Word of the Lord. This user name is my reminder to myself that although God has not allowed me to eat many foods (especially regular bread) he has given me many, many things as my "manna". He has provided greatly for me. When I tire of the foods I have been given to eat and start longing for food that makes me sick I am reminded of how the children of Israel complained (and it did not go well for them when they complained) and what God's ultimate goal was in giving them manna to eat. I am reminded to turn to God for my strength and be content with what I have.

What an inspirational way to look at celiac! Thank you! :D

My name is pretty self explainatory, especially coupled with my profile pic. I'm really hoping to audition for America's Got Talent next season especially since they are holding one of them right here in Tampa!!! I just have to find enough time to practice around these 1 and 3 year old boys...

love2travel Mentor

Thought so. Love it! :)

love2travel Mentor

What an inspirational way to look at celiac! Thank you! :D

My name is pretty self explainatory, especially coupled with my profile pic. I'm really hoping to audition for America's Got Talent next season especially since they are holding one of them right here in Tampa!!! I just have to find enough time to practice around these 1 and 3 year old boys...

GO FOR IT! That would be so awesome. Don't forget to give us a big wave from the stage! :D

kareng Grand Master

GO FOR IT! That would be so awesome. Don't forget to give us a big wave from the stage! :D

Maybe she could wear a t shirt with the circle with the wheat stalk & the line across it? The no gluten symbol.

Harpgirl Explorer

Maybe she could wear a t shirt with the circle with the wheat stalk & the line across it? The no gluten symbol.

:lol: Actually I plan to wear a Rays jersey because I'll be playing Harpo Marx version of Take Me Out to the Ballgame. But if given the chance I will certainly bring the condition up. Though I don't get to practice as much anymore, when I do play, I play better because the brain fog is clearing! B) Or, if I happened to be glutened at the time, I'll probably be crying. :P

Roda Rising Star

Mine is a nickname I got as a a 10 year old from softball.

Twinklestars Contributor

Every one of my four children loved the nursery rhyme 'twinkle, twinkle little star'. I have fond memories of singing it to them often. I still do to my two youngest. So my username is for them, my four beautiful twinkling stars, who light up my heart and my life :)

navigator Apprentice

I had an irrational fear of maps and anytime I was a passenger in a car and the driver handed me a map I went into a blind panic. Then after I'd been dating my now husband for a couple of months, we were invited to take part in an observational rally. I told him that I absolutely could not navigate and he would need to ask someone else. He very patiently took away my fear. We went on the rally,I navigated and we won first prize! When I joined the capri forum my husband suggested my name. It was obviously perfect for a car forum but I decided to keep it on this forum as it reminds me that fear prevents you achieving your potential.

• 2 weeks later...
anabananakins Explorer

I used another username (on another forum) that can be abbreviated to Ana and the people I met there (years and years ago now) have become great friends. They always call me "Ana" when we catch up in person and all my nicknames are variations on Ana (even though it's already a nickname!). So I picked one of them to use here.

Juliebove Rising Star

Gee... I just used my name.

cougie23 Explorer

You can go to your profile and stick a signature on here. Like Suzy or Bart the Dog's Mom.

My screen name is, big surprise, my name! How thoughtful! How original!

actually its very original...do you know its "orgins"?

Is it pronounced the way its spelled?

Have you EVER met anyone ELSE with your name...inquiring minds want to know...LOL! :D

psawyer Proficient

actually its very original...do you know its "orgins"?

Is it pronounced the way its spelled?

Have you EVER met anyone ELSE with your name...inquiring minds want to know...LOL! :D

Hi, Cougie,

She pronounces it KAren. The 'g' is the first letter of her last name.

My screen name is the reverse. It is the first letter of my given name, followed by my surname. This form is common in computer systems, and that is my background.

I only know of 3 other registered members here whose names follow the convention that I used. Remarkably, I have met two of them in person. Go figure.

Archived