This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Food Do You Miss Most And What Has Taken It's Place?

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I miss diet coke. I now drink gator aide. I miss angel food cake. Now I eat Safeway's gluten free cake or a really good bakery's cake. But super $$,so has to be a special occation.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I miss diet coke. I now drink gator aide. I miss angel food cake. Now I eat Safeway's gluten free cake or a really good bakery's cake. But super $$,so has to be a special occation.

Just so you know, you can make good gluten-free angel food cake - you can scarcely tell the differene! Of course that only works if you can have egg whites. Lots and lots of egg whites. My recipe calls for 12 but that is no different from regular angel food cakes, anyway.

I can make nearly everything gluten-free except chewy bagels, yeasty cinmamon rolls and doughnuts and English muffins. Oh, and fabulous bread that is chewy and tender. I would have to pick the latter. Warm from the oven with lashings of butter or grilled bruschetta. To replace it I make my own gluten-free bread but I do not really call it bread but rather a vehicle for other yummy things just because it is not like wheaten bread. I also compensate by making focaccia bread for sandwiches, to grill, to dip in oil, etc.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I miss being able to spy a good bakery and go in and just taste. I'm one of those people who go on vacation to a place where I can't speak the language and just eat whatever looks good.

Obviously, that isn't happening now.

I have found Talenti Gelato and it does help soothe over the lack of bakery access.

I've also gotten back to cooking, and learned to save by culinary adventures for upscale restaurants where going gluten-free is easier.

Tonight I'm buying a Betty Crocker gluten-free mix and making "granny cake", which is a quick cake my grandmother makes to shut us all up :). So I'm enjoying making comfort foods gluten-free.

love2travel Mentor

I'm curious about the diet coke. Do you not have it because it contains aspartame? Or is it a weird brand that actually contains gluten for some reason?

alex11602 Collaborator

On another thread I said that I miss good bread and dipping oil the most, can't find a sub either bc of not being able to really have yeast or eggs. Baked potatoes have definitely taken the place with a good extra virgin oil on it and some salt and pepper.

mommyto2kids Collaborator

I thought diet coke had malt in it and that has gluten or was it the carmel color. I think aspertame gives me the runs and I don't need more of that. :unsure: Am I wrong about the first 2?

I want all the baking recipes. Please post.

Skylark Collaborator

I thought diet coke had malt in it and that has gluten or was it the carmel color. I think aspertame gives me the runs and I don't need more of that. :unsure: Am I wrong about the first 2?

You are wrong about the first two. Carmel color in the US is usually made from corn. On the rare occasion it's from wheat, the wheat must be declared on the label in the allergen warning. There is no malt in coke. Here is Coca-Cola's current US gluten-free list. I got it from coca-cola.com but the way their website is set up, I can't direct link.

All 100% juice products (without added ingredients)

Aquarius Spring!

Barq's root beer

caffeine free Barq's root beer

diet Barq's root beer

diet Barq's Red Creme Soda

Caribou Iced Coffee (all flavors)

cherry Coke

Diet Cherry Coke

Cherry Coke zero

Coca-Cola

caffeine free Coca-Cola classic

Coca-Cola Zero

DASANI

DASANI Lemon

DASANI Plus Refresh and Revive

DASANI Plus Cleanse and Restore

DASANI Essence

Diet Coke

Diet Coke Plus

caffeine free Diet Coke

Diet Coke Sweetened with Splenda

Diet Coke with Lime

Enviga Sparkling Berry Green Tea

Enviga Sparkling Green Tea

Fanta Grape, Fanta Orange

Fanta Orange Zero

Fresca

FUZE (all flavors)

Gold Peak Lemon Iced Tea

Minute Maid Lemonade

Minute Maid Light Lemonade

Minute Maid Multi-Vitamin Orange Juice

Minute Maid Pomegranate Blueberry

Minute Maid Pomegranate Lemonade

Minute Maid Pomegranate Flavored Tea

Minute Maid Juice Bars (Orange, Cherry and Grape)

NESTEA Sweetened Lemon Tea

Diet NESTEA Lemon

NESTEA Red Tea

NESTEA Citrus Green Tea

Diet NESTEA Citrus Green Tea

NOS Energy Drinks

POWERADE Zero with ION4 (all flavors)

POWERADE with ION4 (all flavors)

Rehab

Simply Orange Juice Medium Pulp with Calcium Country Stand

Simply Orange with Mango

Simply Orange with Pineapple

Simply Apple

Simply Grapefruit

Simply Lemonade

Simply Limeade

Simply Lemonade with Raspberry

Sprite

Diet Sprite Zero

vanilla Coke

Vanilla Coke Zero

VIO Vibrancy Drinks

As for your first question, I miss homemade bread. What's taken its place are all the wonderful rices you can get. Jasmine rice, brown sushi rice, basmati rice, black forbidden rice, Bhutanese red rice, the list goes on and on! I had no idea there were so many wonderful rices in the world until I went gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lucia Enthusiast

Jasmine rice, brown sushi rice, basmati rice, black forbidden rice, Bhutanese red rice, the list goes on and on! I had no idea there were so many wonderful rices in the world until I went gluten free.

What a wonderful list, Skylark!

I miss gooey, piping-hot bread straight from the oven! A rare event even before I went gluten-free, but one of the best. I did have gluten-free bread at a restaurant once (in Poughkeepsie, NY, the Artist's Palate) that was served warm and had a similar texture. This was a one time event though, but one I cherish. ; )

love2travel Mentor

I have posted several great cake/cupcake recipes and focaccia on here somewhere.

Angel food cake...Open Original Shared Link

shadowicewolf Proficient

fluffy airy bread..... i haven't found a sub for it yet.

mbrookes Community Regular

Baklava. Actally almost anything made with that flakey thin pastry. Is there any way to fake that?

Skylark Collaborator

Baklava. Actally almost anything made with that flakey thin pastry. Is there any way to fake that?

Look what I found! A video on how to make gluten-free baklava.

It looks like a ton of work though. :o

love2travel Mentor

Look what I found! A video on how to make gluten-free baklava.

It looks like a ton of work though. :o

It is a lot of work for either gluten-free phyllo or gluten phyllo. I've done it and love making it but then I enjoy challenging things.

glutentheintolerant Rookie

I was very, very fond of bread. And cornflakes.

I guess gluten-free bread took its place. I bake it myself.

Not half as good, though. Very dry stuff and unsuitable for peanut butter.

The cornflakes by Sch

mbrookes Community Regular

love2travel, thanks for the baklave film. It does look like a lot of work....maybe one cold winter day with nothing to do....

love2travel Mentor

love2travel, thanks for the baklave film. It does look like a lot of work....maybe one cold winter day with nothing to do....

Skylark gets the credit for posting it! :D But although it can be time consuming it is fun to make and does taste like the real thing. It IS possible! :)

moose07 Apprentice

i miss thanksgiving foods, I know I could probably make all the food gluten free but getting my family behind that wouldn't go over that well and I'm not making all that food for myself.

Monael Apprentice

Pizza! And cookies! Tortas (mexican sandwiches made with a yummy french bread type roll). Sandwiches. Gluten free bread is not the same. Neither is gluten free pizza. I made a gluten free pizza the other day that was not bad. It was pretty tasty, and even my son said it tasted good (he is not gluten free). But it doesn't replace gluteny pizza.

I like Pamela's gluten free chocolate chip cookies and am satisfied with them as a replacement. Bread is the hardest. But I have adjusted to not having it. I am going to eventually get into baking my own but am not really in a hurry. I have found enough substitutes and alternate meals that I am over all satisfied with my diet. Yeah there are things that I miss. But it is not a huge deal to me. I love food and have taken it as a challenge to make delicious meals without gluten. My son is very resistant because he likes gluteny foods but even he has not noticed that I am not serving it LOL.

Monael Apprentice

i miss thanksgiving foods, I know I could probably make all the food gluten free but getting my family behind that wouldn't go over that well and I'm not making all that food for myself.

This thanksgiving is going to be interesting. I am looking forward to it, but I love cooking thanksgiving dinner. The only things I really need to worry about are the stuffing-and I plan on buying gluten free bread for that, and the gravy, which I have always made with flour but now will be making with cornstarch. Everything else I can't imagine I will have a problem with. Turkey, potatoes, green beans (I don't make the casserole, just plain green beans so that will be OK), sweet potatoes (I don't use marshmallows, only butter and brown sugar). Pie will be fun to make, I have a good gluten free cook book with some pie crust recipes so I am covered there. Did I miss anything?

Maybe you could offer to make the gluteny type foods yourself to bring to the family dinner?

Archived