Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duhlina

Strange Question

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes. Grains the cow eats are not a problem for us.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

That said... Pastures beef is all kinds of better for you (and cows, and farmers) than CAFO beef. Look into it!

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

That said... Pastures beef is all kinds of better for you (and cows, and farmers) than CAFO beef. Look into it!

That's why I asked. We just joined a grassfed beef CSA and got our first delivery on Friday. I was talking to the farmer (he delivers it himself) about how he managed through the hurricane we had a few weeks ago and he said he thought he lost the majority of his barley crop. It made me wonder if I could eat the beef if they were fed barley.

That being said....we had our first steak from our delivery and WOW. The difference in flavor was like night and day compared to what I buy at the supermarket. This is grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics beef. Yes, it's a little more expensive than the supermarket but it's SOOOOO much better!!!

Is the barley growing or cut/baled?

It's a matter of opinion.

Some purists count hay (grown, baled on site) as "not grass fed". There's a difference between grass-fed and pastured, too.

To me, the key is if they roam and eat a lot of grass. It's next to impossible to have enough pasture year-round to support a herd. And no hormones.

Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

Gluten-Free since 6/2011.

DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND.

Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Oh, I don't know for sure that he feeds the cattle the barley, I will have to ask. He just said his barley crop was ruined.

I thought that's what you were trying to say! :)