Lori2

Question About Bread-Making

Rate this topic

I have had very little experience baking bread. With all the good varieties avail pre-gluten-free, I didn't see the need to bake my own. Now, in addition to gluten intolerance, I also have a problem with sugars and honey (Udi's doesn't work for me). Is it possible to bake a yeast bread without sugar or honey?

While most recipes use sugar to activate the yeast (wake it from its dried stupor, someone said) it is not strictly necessary as I understand it. It just speeds up the activation (proofing) process. If you don't use it (I assume you can't have agave either?) then it will take longer to proof.

You're right about the agave. It was the first sugar problem I became aware of--it was in one of my supplements. Supplements were the first thing I tested in my elimination diet.

You can do a work- around for this by putting the yeast in warm water to dissolve it, then mixing it into the dry gluten free flour mixture and doing a very long, slow rise.

You may want to sweeten some of these breads a little bit with whatever you can tolerate, even a bit of artificial sweetener or stevia, as some of the higher protein flours taste better that way.

OR, you can use the yeast water just for flavoring the bread, and using a combination of baking powder and pure apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or vinegar and baking soda and cream of tartar to leaven the bread.

If you really just want something breadlike quickly, you can make a flatbread in the pan on the stovetop, or bun in a cup without the sugar in the microwave, both using the quick leavening.