GFreeMO

Has Anyone Baked With Smart Balance Light

Rate this topic

I am looking for something to use in place of butter in some of my recipes. Has anyone baked with Smart Balance light. I need it to be Gluten-free Casein-free. Smart Balance Light is both of these but i'm not sure if you can bake with it.

I use Earthbalance Spread and it works just fine in breads and muffins and cakes. I'm not sure about cookies and pie crust. If the original recipe called for margarine, I am fairly confident the Earthbalance would sub just fine in cookies but if it called for butter, I'm not sure. There might be a difference. There is also a soy-free version of Earthbalance. Both it and the original are casein-free. For pie crust, you can use Spectrum shortening as well.

I am looking for something to use in place of butter in some of my recipes. Has anyone baked with Smart Balance light. I need it to be Gluten-free Casein-free. Smart Balance Light is both of these but i'm not sure if you can bake with it.

Aren't you also trying to do soy free? If not then just ignore this...If so then I use Earth Balance (the soy free/dairy free one), coconut oil (which is a solid at room temp) or palm shortening depending on the recipe. Some recipes I can even use light olive oil if it calls for melted butter.

ETA: the thigns that are most affected by changing to a margerine or oil are cookies. They may spread more and be thinner.

Spreads usually have more water in them, that's why they spread. Salt, too usually (if you bake with unsalted butter/margarine).

I use EarthBalance Soy-free and so far I have been able to use it exactly like butter without any problems. It is pretty much my new favorite thing ever.

Aren't you also trying to do soy free? If not then just ignore this...If so then I use Earth Balance (the soy free/dairy free one), coconut oil (which is a solid at room temp) or palm shortening depending on the recipe. Some recipes I can even use light olive oil if it calls for melted butter.

ETA: the thigns that are most affected by changing to a margerine or oil are cookies. They may spread more and be thinner.

Yes, I am avoiding soy. I actually bought the soy free Earth Balance. It's pretty good. Thanks everyone!