Mizzo

Coconut Or Almond Flour

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I am looking for simple recipes using coconut or almond flour that is not loaded with tons of sugar . Any favorite cookie or muffin recipes out there?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am looking for simple recipes using coconut or almond flour that is not loaded with tons of sugar . Any favorite cookie or muffin recipes out there?

Thanks

My favorite cookie recipe with almond flour, I use the one from nutsonline.com, is snickerdoodle cookies...it is based off of Elana's Pantry cookies.

Snickerdoodles

2 1/2 c almond flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 c starch (I use cornstarch)

6 tbs oil (I have been using canola)

1/2 c honey (Elana's original recipe called for agave which has an even lower glycemic index)

2 tbs vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix everything together, form into little cookies (I do mine with about a tbs of dough for each cookie) and place on greased or foiled baking sheet. Top with cinnamon or cinnamon and sugar (as much or as little as you want) Bake for 5-10 min, you want the tops of the cookies to be very light and the bottoms to be almost a golden brown.

All the recipes in Elana's Pantry are made with coconut or almond flour and she prefers the Agave sweetener.

Her site might be perfect for you.

All the recipes in Elana's Pantry are made with coconut or almond flour and she prefers the Agave sweetener.

Her site might be perfect for you.

I agree. She does have some good recipes. Another website that uses quite a bit of coconut flour (dairy free as well) is glutenfreegoddess.com. I LOVE her coconut cake with coconut buttercream! Her brownies use almond meal. I often add a few T of almond meal or coconut flour to much of my baking because I like the flavour so much. I like the nuttiness of almond meal (as well as the texture).

you can substitute many different sweeteners in place of sugar in pretty much any recipe anywhere. I use a mix of xylitol, erythritol and stevia. I've also recently bought some coconut sugar to try that as a brown sugar substitute. All of these are natural low glycemic/low carb sweeteners. There's also Splenda (sucralose), which measures the same as sugar and is heat resistent, but is not quite as natural, but has fewer side affects than aspartame sweeteners. Most aspartame products aren't heat resistant, so aren't good for baking.