Googles

Nails Breaking.

Rate this topic

I have been breaking a lot of nails lately in situations that it seems like they should be able to withstand. I feel like it is because there is something that is missing from my diet. What lets nails break easily?

Thanks.

Deficiency of B vits, zinc, vit c

Funny how those vitamins/minerals keep showing up in my life.

Rolling my eyes now.

Lack of protein can cause thin brittle nails with horizontal ridges.

Vitamin and mineral deficiencies cause vertical ridges and unhealthy nails.

I noticed I tore a nail in half a while back. Thought it was due to sports but now that I read this, it might be down to something else. It's still attached but it sure looks ugly. Never had it before when I was on a gluten-rich diet, looks quite odd.

I always had very weak nails and they would peel and break easy. Since addressing my vitamin/mineral deficiencies, (for me it was vitamin D, iron and ferritin) my nails are as strong as ever now.

nutrition deficiencies will often show up in your hair and nails, but by the time it affects them, you're been malnourished for quite some time!

What do you eat on an average day? Do you have a balanced diet with lots of whole natural foods, or do you eat a lot of manufactured packaged foods? How many servings of protein and fats do you eat a day?

That is one of the key symptoms for hypothyroid. My nails always get very brittle when my thyroid isn't right. Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

Hello Everyone.

I have been anemic for the last few months. I had a three month period when I couldn't eat much after getting glutened. I became anemic at that point. I am fighting my way back in between getting glutened again a couple of times and having the same thing happen (but not for so long). I didn't realize anemia could lead to brittle nails.I should probably get my vitamin levels checked. I'll have to check with my PCP about getting that done. I will see what my GI doc had done last time as I can't afford to go back.

I did used to have my thyroid tested periodically because of depression, but haven't in a while. I will look into having that done too.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Hello Everyone.

I have been anemic for the last few months. I had a three month period when I couldn't eat much after getting glutened. I became anemic at that point. I am fighting my way back in between getting glutened again a couple of times and having the same thing happen (but not for so long). I didn't realize anemia could lead to brittle nails.I should probably get my vitamin levels checked. I'll have to check with my PCP about getting that done. I will see what my GI doc had done last time as I can't afford to go back.

I did used to have my thyroid tested periodically because of depression, but haven't in a while. I will look into having that done too.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just to add another thought....anemia is another sign of hypothyroid. If you are hypothyroid and it goes untreated, you can easily pop with anemia.

It has happened to me before. The thyroid plays a role in the production of red blood cells. You sound like you have a thyroid issue and not a vitamin deficiency issue. Make sure the ranges on the thyroid testing are the up to date ranges and not the old ones that doctors all too frequently use. Your TSH should be no higher than 2.5 but for many, it has to be in the 1 range for maintaining health.

Good luck!

Just to add another thought....anemia is another sign of hypothyroid. If you are hypothyroid and it goes untreated, you can easily pop with anemia.

It has happened to me before. The thyroid plays a role in the production of red blood cells. You sound like you have a thyroid issue and not a vitamin deficiency issue. Make sure the ranges on the thyroid testing are the up to date ranges and not the old ones that doctors all too frequently use. Your TSH should be no higher than 2.5 but for many, it has to be in the 1 range for maintaining health.

Good luck!

Thanks for that info. I will call to make my apt on Monday.