Gogol

Cosmetics & Gluten

Rate this topic

Hello,

What would you say on the following statement which I've found on dummies.com:

"Make-Up Concerns for the Gluten Free

If you or someone you love has celiac disease or a sensitivity to gluten, the make-up that matters most is make-up you

Since the antibody reaction begins when gluten contacts any mucous membrane I avoid gluten ingredients in all topicals.

There's even gluten-free glue for kids.

I use a lot of glue in some of the stuff I make and have to either take extreme precautions or use stuff that is very toxic and has fumes. What brand of glue is this? I would like to see if it would work for my projects.

To begin with, foundation and powder is applied near the mouth, therefore, I use gluten free make-up. Also, all these products have a high probability of getting on our hands and fingers and as such we can easily transfer the gluten containing make-up into our mouths accidentally. On top of all that, many of us have the rash (DH) caused by gluten (which includes topically).

Even after I went gluten-free with my diet, I still had this horrible, extremely itchy rash. As soon as I changed to gluten-free make-up, lotions, shampoo,soap, etc., the itchy rash went away. Now I make sure that everything I use (even externally) is gluten-free.

Hope this helps.

To begin with, foundation and powder is applied near the mouth, therefore, I use gluten free make-up. Also, all these products have a high probability of getting on our hands and fingers and as such we can easily transfer the gluten containing make-up into our mouths accidentally. On top of all that, many of us have the rash (DH) caused by gluten (which includes topically).

Even after I went gluten-free with my diet, I still had this horrible, extremely itchy rash. As soon as I changed to gluten-free make-up, lotions, shampoo,soap, etc., the itchy rash went away. Now I make sure that everything I use (even externally) is gluten-free.

Hope this helps.

First of all, thank you all. Which foundation do you use?

I have started having problems with Devita skin care - which is "gluten sensitive", meaning they removed gluten from the wheat.

I was fine for years, even first few mints off gluten.

Now it bothers me.

I think skin care is like food - it can change re: allergens/irritants.

I switched to Bare Escentuals. It was just easier than trying to figure out which brands/products were gluten-free. Most of their make-up is gluten free, and it works best for my skin. If you go to their website and look under FAQ's you can find a list of their gluten free products.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

What would you say on the following statement which I've found on dummies.com:

"Make-Up Concerns for the Gluten Free

If you or someone you love has celiac disease or a sensitivity to gluten, the make-up that matters most is make-up you

Hope this helps.

According to Dr. Peter Green, DH is not caused by topical exposure to gluten. It works the same as for those without DH...the reaction comes from within, after ingesting gluten. Topical reactions are always allergy related and it's not unusual for a Celiac to have topical allergies also. This surprised me when I read his book but I don't have DH so cannot say for certain.

According to Dr. Peter Green, DH is not caused by topical exposure to gluten. It works the same as for those without DH...the reaction comes from within, after ingesting gluten. Topical reactions are always allergy related and it's not unusual for a Celiac to have topical allergies also. This surprised me when I read his book but I don't have DH so cannot say for certain.

I haven't noticed my DH flaring, but wheat germ oil in the dog shampoo made my lower arms/hands ache and swell.

My eyes were swelling from the Devita stuff.

Who knows, but it's probably better gluten-free.

This has worked well for me and I am an extremely sensitive celiac. I am just really careful to not eat my make-up, which isn't a good habit to get into anyway. It all depends on comfort level. I am also serio-positive with regards to the blood work and my antibody levels are close to zero at this point.

It's pretty easy for me to tell if my system of putting on make-up is not working.

The only thing I screen is lip stuff and hand cream and it's worked well for the past 6 years. You will also find that the more expensive make-up is generally gluten-free anyway...wheat is a cheap filler.

Not necessarily expensive cosmetics are gluten-free. For Example, many products of Dermalogica, Guerlain, Chanel and more contain gluten. Frankly, each time I read "tocopherol", I get really pissed.