This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Snacks?

ASandoval

ASandoval Newbie

Ok so this might sound silly but I'd rather be safe than sorry!! So my 5yr old ha started kindergarten this year and and has to take snacks to school, the problem is one of his classmates is allergic to gluten. I have been trying to find some helpful tips on snacks what would appropriate for him. I wouldn't want to get something that not every one could enjoy. I truly appreciate the help!!

Amanda!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mizzo Enthusiast

Are you looking for a one time "party"item or are you supplying snacks on a regular basis?

ASandoval Newbie

He will have to take snacks more than a handeful of times this year.

ASandoval Newbie

Also I know children with allergies usually know that they can an can not eat but earlier this week he had a school pizza which was an issue.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Since you didn't mention anything I am assuming no other allergies in the class:

fresh fruit

carrots/cucumbers and wishbone ranch dressing

smartfood popcorn

pirate booty

quaker rice cakes ( full size only no minis)

chex cereals can be made into party/trail mixes with raisins and mini marshmallows

Dole fruit cups

applesauce

Jello brand choc ,vanilla, or choc/van swirl pudding cups

Jelllo brand jello cups

Tortilla chips Tostito's or Santitos brand

Snyders gluten free veggie chips

I am sure others will add more to the list

Roda Rising Star

We had this issue last year. My son's teacher revised the acceptable snack list to be not only nut free but gluten free as well to accomidate my son better. Some ideas for you:

rice and chex cereal, apples, carrot sticks, grapes, bananas, cheese sticks, yogurt, quaker large rice cakes(if no nut issues), Kinnikinnick makes animal crackers that are gluten/nut free that are good. My child was the gluten free one so for something different I provided gluten free/nut free pretzels on occasion.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Kids that age don't always KNOW what they can and can't have. We as parents TRY to teach them but they are young and they forget. So I would not assume that the child knows what he can/can't eat.

I would check with the Mom. Our rule is NO FOOD unless it comes from home. Ever. EVER. Even with that rule, DS got some juice last year which could have been an issue. We were sure to include food AND drink this year in our rules.

Some ideas if all the above check out (again assuming gluten is the only issue in the class) I don't have many cause our allergy list is pretty extensive and others have named many of our go to's:

Mary's Gone Crackers/rice crackers and cheese cubes

Chex Muddy Buddies or other varieties of mix

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ASandoval Newbie

Thanks every one!!! This is going to be very useful! And yes this is the only allergy in the class.

ASandoval Newbie

To StephanieL last year a student in my sons class was allergic to peanutbutter apples and was lactose intolerant and he made sure that he avoided those foods. I am not very familiar with this type of stuff but from my understanding avoiding gluten is a whole other ball game. Thanks for the help!!

StephanieL Enthusiast

To StephanieL last year a student in my sons class was allergic to peanutbutter apples and was lactose intolerant and he made sure that he avoided those foods. I am not very familiar with this type of stuff but from my understanding avoiding gluten is a whole other ball game. Thanks for the help!!

I think a lot just depends on the parents, the child and how they choose to deal. It is two different things though, I get that totally dealing with both.

My son "knows" not to eat things I don't pack. But he's 4. I have tried to roll play with him "Here, want a cookie/candy/treat?" and sometimes he's good at remembering and sometimes not so much. I try to instill a "healthy" (if you can call it that) fear into him because with his allergies, it could literally kill him. Not just make him sick but he could actually die. I know parents who have instilled SO much fear that I have heard of kids flipping out if someone 2 tables away in the lunch room spill milk and refuse to eat in the lunch room from then on. It's a really hard balancing act I think.

Again, the list you got is pretty good! I would just be sure the clarify with the Mom what the food rules they follow are. And as a parent of a kid with food issue, I thank you for caring enough to even come here to ask :) Knowing there are parents out there who do care enough to try helps me out too!

ASandoval Newbie

Thanks StephanieL I know what you mean and I can't even imagine how hard this must be for both parents and the children. And I will talk to mom!!

Archived