This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Can I Be So Stupid?

stewartfan14

stewartfan14 Newbie

Uggghhh!! How could I be so stupid!! Warning... hormel chili with turkey is not gluten free! I have been so careful since being diagnosed two years ago because I am extremely sensitive. Well, tonight thought nachos with chili would be a great supper idea and since I'm a bit lazy today I decided to use hormel chili. At the store the turkey version sounded like a great option...less fat! But I never looked at the label before eating it. Well guess who was digging in the trash 20 minutes later and reading the label? Dumb-dumb!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Hormel have a number of gluten-free products, and will always clearly list a gluten source in the ingredients list. BUT, not everything they make is gluten-free. Sorry you discovered this the hard way.

Jestgar Rising Star

We're all stupid starting out. ;) It's the only way to learn.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

You're not stupid! You're just not in the habit of checking and double checking the ingredients label yet. You'll get there eventually!

Skylark Collaborator

Been there, done that. Don't you hate when you look at the label AFTER you eat the food? My last messup was grabbing the wrong package of crackers at Trader Joe's. Fortunately I only took a bite of one and noticed the flavor. I hope you don't get too sick from it!

Poppi Enthusiast

I've done it too. I accidentally bought the regular San-J Organic Tamari instead of the gluten free. Used it on at least 3 meals and couldn't figure out why my back was flaring up so badly until my husband noticed my mistake.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

After one year of obsessively reading labels....I did that very thing last week. Bought another version of a choclate bar that is supposed to be safe...but this one "crunched" and as I was chewing I read the label. Ugh...Barley Malt and Rice Krispies....even though I didn't swallow it I paid for it dearly all week. Migraines, DH sores...yup...I really did it this time!!! Just letting you know you are not alone. I hope your symptoms are not too bad and pass quickly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Not stupid! Not at all!!

Feel better soon!

anabananakins Explorer

Uggghhh!! How could I be so stupid!! Warning... hormel chili with turkey is not gluten free! I have been so careful since being diagnosed two years ago because I am extremely sensitive. Well, tonight thought nachos with chili would be a great supper idea and since I'm a bit lazy today I decided to use hormel chili. At the store the turkey version sounded like a great option...less fat! But I never looked at the label before eating it. Well guess who was digging in the trash 20 minutes later and reading the label? Dumb-dumb!

Oh dear! I hope you feel better soon.

Juliebove Rising Star

I bought the Hormel chili with beef and beans just like I always had without checking the label. Then I was getting ready to heat it and saw the soy in the ingredients. I don't think it had soy before! If it did, I didn't notice it. I am not allergic to soy but it does mess with my thyroid so I do try to avoid it. That stuff went to the food bank.

Monklady123 Collaborator

Yeah, join the club. :rolleyes: My best one of those "duh" moments was back when I was first gluten free. I bought some "wheat free" cookies, Newman's I think they were. Like oreo cookies. Ate a couple -- okay, more than a couple ;) -- then not too long after that I was in the bathroom. *Then* I read the ingredients and saw barley. And only then did I see, in smaller letters underneath "wheat free", where it said "not gluten free". sigh.

notme Experienced

don't feel bad - i have been gluten free for over a year and just the other night i almost contaminated corn salad with chili cheese fritos! at the last minute i read the bag..... REGULAR fritos are gluten free. NOT chili cheese. bummer, i have been hounding this woman from my church for the delicious recipe - it will have to be regular fritos next try. side note: discovered the corn salad without the fritos makes a delicious relish for tacos!!! :)

lynnelise Apprentice

It happens. Recently I somehow missed the malt on the Heinz 57 sauce and ate burgers and steaks marinated in it. I think the longer you are on the diet the more likely you are to let your guard down! Hope you feel better soon!

stewartfan14 Newbie

Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support! It's nice to have a place to "talk" with folks that understand! I have a feeling I'll be paying for this one for weeks......worst part is knowing I did it to myself! But I bet I'll be even more careful from now on!

AVR1962 Collaborator

Not stupid.....I did this this past weekend and for the life of me could not figure out what I ate. Finally dawned on me that bread was placed on top of my salad, husband took it off but I ate the salad......mistake! Have you found anything that helps after being glutened? I used activated charcoal, a dose 3 times what the bottle recommends and it helps traumendously!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I washed the dog with shampoo containing wheat germ oil. My arms ached for a day.

I was using face products that were "gluten sensitive safe". Thought it was ok (used it for years before knowing I had gluten issues). Suddenly, my eyes started swelling....so had to stop that. They use de-glutened wheat products and untested oats in the products. Read the gluten-sensitive part and not the ingredients. And if course, they also contained seaweed (high iodine).

Live and learn. Worst part is they were great products. My dog's skin loved the shampoo. And that skin care line was fabulous.

Archived