eatmeat4good

Flatbread Thread!

Rate this topic

Please share your recipe if you have a nice way of making flatbread!

I'm not very creative and have only made Besan Chickpea flatbread.

It isn't even a recipe.

Just put 1/3 c. Chickpea Flour

Add water to make a batter

Fry in a hot skillet until it sorta looks like a flatbread.

sometimes rubbery, sometimes yummy... :unsure:

See why I need recipes?

• Upvote 1

I use channa besan too and love it. The key to always good or sometimes rubbery is the temperature of the pan.

Finding the combination on your stove will make the difference. I also use blue corn flour -- sorgum and rice flour mix and buckwheat which is really nice for crepes too. Oh - when they are rubbery cut them into 6 or 8 pieces put them in the oven for 10 minutes or so and you get chips!

its trial and error and each stove but you can get some great results -- I mixed fresh dill into the batter once.

good luck!

Please share your recipe if you have a nice way of making flatbread!

I'm not very creative and have only made Besan Chickpea flatbread.

It isn't even a recipe.

Just put 1/3 c. Chickpea Flour

Add water to make a batter

Fry in a hot skillet until it sorta looks like a flatbread.

sometimes rubbery, sometimes yummy... :unsure:

See why I need recipes?

Thanks Kenlove!

Are you saying that a hotter pan would result in less rubbery texture?

Oh no! I got a Page Not Found message from your link.

It took me to a gluten free site and I typed flatbread in the search boz...but nothing came up. Aww...can you try again? Thanks!

try this

goto: http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/ top right click on "recipes" and scroll down and click on "sandwich wraps the original recipe" then scroll down and click on variations.

Basically it's the original recipe with no-rise. I also played with the flour mix an used what I had. since it's a no rise bread you don't have too be too specific

hope that works

I haven't tried this but it looked good. I posted the whole recipe because when I went back to get the other recipe from the newspaper, the link was gone. The link has a nice picture.

http://italianfood.about.com/od/fritterssnacks/r/Ligurian-Chick-Pea-Farinata-Farinata-Ligure.htm

In much of Italy a farinata is a thick porridge made with vegetables, broth, and finely ground flour of one sort or another. Liguria's farinata is a bit different: It's made with chick pea flour and enough water to make a fairly liquid batter, and baked in the oven: What emerges is a very tasty chickpea flapjack (for want of a better term) that you slice up and serve. Expect it to go fast, and for people to demand more.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Resting time: 4 hours

Total Time: 4 hours, 35 minutes

Ingredients:

Karen--that's how I learned to make chickpea flat bread--in the oven. Never tried adding all those optional things. I usually make mine when I make lentils or rice dishes.

Karen--that's how I learned to make chickpea flat bread--in the oven. Never tried adding all those optional things. I usually make mine when I make lentils or rice dishes.

I thought if I try this, I would add the extras & maybe the guys at my house would like it better. ;)

There was a similiar one where they saute onions in olive oil in th bottom of the pan, then put the dough on top & sprinkle fresh rosemary and olive oil on before cooking.

I thought if I try this, I would add the extras & maybe the guys at my house would like it better. ;)

There was a similiar one where they saute onions in olive oil in th bottom of the pan, then put the dough on top & sprinkle fresh rosemary and olive oil on before cooking.

The onions sound great!

Not hotter-- to hot is no good too but less hot gives me rubber-- also depends on how thick the batter is. If you dont get it spread out quickly it stays thick and gets like rubber too. I think its just finding the balance. I have a commercial restaurant stove with 30,000 BTU burners instead of 15,000 like in most home stoves. That gives me a hotter flame to get the pan ready then I turn it down some. Still they are not perfect every time but its nice to have some bread again!

Thanks Kenlove!

Are you saying that a hotter pan would result in less rubbery texture?