This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flatbread Thread!

eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Please share your recipe if you have a nice way of making flatbread!

I'm not very creative and have only made Besan Chickpea flatbread.

It isn't even a recipe.

Just put 1/3 c. Chickpea Flour

Add water to make a batter

Fry in a hot skillet until it sorta looks like a flatbread.

sometimes rubbery, sometimes yummy... :unsure:

See why I need recipes?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

I use channa besan too and love it. The key to always good or sometimes rubbery is the temperature of the pan.

Finding the combination on your stove will make the difference. I also use blue corn flour -- sorgum and rice flour mix and buckwheat which is really nice for crepes too. Oh - when they are rubbery cut them into 6 or 8 pieces put them in the oven for 10 minutes or so and you get chips!

its trial and error and each stove but you can get some great results -- I mixed fresh dill into the batter once.

good luck!

Please share your recipe if you have a nice way of making flatbread!

I'm not very creative and have only made Besan Chickpea flatbread.

It isn't even a recipe.

Just put 1/3 c. Chickpea Flour

Add water to make a batter

Fry in a hot skillet until it sorta looks like a flatbread.

sometimes rubbery, sometimes yummy... :unsure:

See why I need recipes?

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

Oh my god..these look delicious!

I haven't tried them but they look light and delicate!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Thanks Kenlove!

Are you saying that a hotter pan would result in less rubbery texture?

Mizzo Enthusiast

with the no rise variation and rolled as thin as possible this is the best gluten-free rollup bread I have ever had. It also stayed fresh and soft in a ziplock on the counter for 3 days.

good luck

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh no! I got a Page Not Found message from your link.

It took me to a gluten free site and I typed flatbread in the search boz...but nothing came up. Aww...can you try again? Thanks!

Mizzo Enthusiast

try this

goto: Open Original Shared Link top right click on "recipes" and scroll down and click on "sandwich wraps the original recipe" then scroll down and click on variations.

Basically it's the original recipe with no-rise. I also played with the flour mix an used what I had. since it's a no rise bread you don't have too be too specific

hope that works

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Here's one that looks really good (it has buttermilk powder however): Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

I haven't tried this but it looked good. I posted the whole recipe because when I went back to get the other recipe from the newspaper, the link was gone. The link has a nice picture.

In much of Italy a farinata is a thick porridge made with vegetables, broth, and finely ground flour of one sort or another. Liguria's farinata is a bit different: It's made with chick pea flour and enough water to make a fairly liquid batter, and baked in the oven: What emerges is a very tasty chickpea flapjack (for want of a better term) that you slice up and serve. Expect it to go fast, and for people to demand more.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Resting time: 4 hours

Total Time: 4 hours, 35 minutes

Ingredients:

Karen--that's how I learned to make chickpea flat bread--in the oven. Never tried adding all those optional things. I usually make mine when I make lentils or rice dishes.

kareng Grand Master

Karen--that's how I learned to make chickpea flat bread--in the oven. Never tried adding all those optional things. I usually make mine when I make lentils or rice dishes.

I thought if I try this, I would add the extras & maybe the guys at my house would like it better. ;)

There was a similiar one where they saute onions in olive oil in th bottom of the pan, then put the dough on top & sprinkle fresh rosemary and olive oil on before cooking.

I thought if I try this, I would add the extras & maybe the guys at my house would like it better. ;)

There was a similiar one where they saute onions in olive oil in th bottom of the pan, then put the dough on top & sprinkle fresh rosemary and olive oil on before cooking.

The onions sound great!

kenlove Rising Star

Not hotter-- to hot is no good too but less hot gives me rubber-- also depends on how thick the batter is. If you dont get it spread out quickly it stays thick and gets like rubber too. I think its just finding the balance. I have a commercial restaurant stove with 30,000 BTU burners instead of 15,000 like in most home stoves. That gives me a hotter flame to get the pan ready then I turn it down some. Still they are not perfect every time but its nice to have some bread again!

Thanks Kenlove!

Are you saying that a hotter pan would result in less rubbery texture?

Archived