peeptoad

Can Gluten Cause Skin Issues Besides Dh?

Rate this topic

This has probably been asked a million times already but...

I used to get small, pinpoint, raised red spot on my thighs and inner knees (mainly, but I sometimes found them on my arms or lower legs). Once in awhile they itched, but I usually couldn't feel them at all. I've been gluten-free for about 7 weeks now and around week 3 or 4 I noticed that I was no longer getting these red spots on my skin. I still have a few that are older/fainter (healing), but still nothing new. This wasn't major to begin with (the spots were sporadic/never more than a few at a time, and it wasn't DH, I'm sure of that), but just wondering if gluten can cause skin issues other than DH?

I'm pretty sure mine wasn't DH though because it never progressed to anything worse. I'd just get a few red spots on my legs and then they would gradually heal and disappear, followed by more of course. I just found it interesting that gluten-free seems to have cleared them and I never really attributed them to something in my diet (before going gluten-free)...

Check out pictures of the various types of psoriasis. That is what I have, and it seems that gluten, corn and almonds will make it flare. For those short periods of time when I was able to avoid all three, it cleared up completely. I know it will take a while to figure out what ELSE causes it, but I know that SOMEDAY, it'll be gone for good!

This is an about.com article about skin conditions associated with celiac disease.

http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/symptomsofceliacdisease/a/Skin-Based-Manifestations-Of-Celiac-Disease-Can-Take-Many-Forms.htm

Thank you!

Keratosis pilaris seems the closest to what I was experiencing. I googled some pictures and my skin issues looked a lot like that, although not as severe as many of the pics.