Roda

For Those That Are Gluten Free Oat Intolerent

Rate this topic

I thought this might be a useful thread for all of us on here that have a gluten free oat sensitivity. I avoid any gluten free oats and products that either does or may have cross contamination from them. Bob's Red Mill was the first product eliminated. Here are two recent responses I recieved from Ener G and King Arthur in response to this question:

Comment: Hello!

I am very pleased with your gluten free line of products. I appreciate the

lengths you have taken to assure the safety and integrity of your gluten

free products. My question is: Is there any chance your products could have

any potential for cross contamination from gluten free oats in your facility

or from the suppliers facility from shared lines or facility? I am extremely

sensitive to even gluten free oats and have had to eliminate gluten free

products because of the cross contamination from them. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2011 4:16 PM

Subject: [kaf #303835] Any possibility of gluen free oat contamination?

>

> Hello,

> Thanks for your email. I checked with the merchandising team and they

> verified that gluten-free oats are processed in the same facility as our gluten-free

> mixes, so cross contamination is a possibility.

>

> We are sorry for any inconvenience.

>

>

>

> Sincerely,

>

> MaryJane

>

> King Arthur Flour

> Baker's Catalogue, Inc

> 1-800-827-6836

> bakers@kingarthurflour.com

> 100% Employee Owned~ 100% Committed to Quality

>

>>

No we do not have any oats of any kind in our facility. Also we purchase

our ingredients from exclusive manufactures. Such as Rice Flour direct from

the rice growers and that is all they make.

Kathy Hoffman

Kathy@ener-g.com

-----Original Message-----

From: Ener-G Customer Service [mailto:customerservice@ener-g.com]

Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 3:52 PM

To: customerservice

Subject: Ener-G Request Form

I don't regualarly use King Arthur, but I have in the past. Ener G, Yeah!! I didn't think so but now I can be sure. I use their products a lot. When I get anymore info I will post. If anyone else has anthing to post please do.

Interesting! I have not had any trouble with King Arthur gluten-free flours but I had reactions to Bob's Red Mill products which I attributed to the gluten-free oat CC. Now I am wondering if it's actually due to Quinoa CC instead since I know Bob's process gluten-free quinoa as well (my reaction to quinoa pasta was very violent, worse than gluten).

I did hear back from Betty Crocker to the question in my first post and I feel they failed to answer my original question. I sent them back an e-mail asking them to answer it. I certainly appreciate their products, and have used them a lot. Just wanting to cover all bases.

Thank you for contacting us about gluten in Betty Crocker gluten free mix.

General Mills offers several products that are labeled gluten-free. Please check the

package label for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of the package. Only

products that can be verified to be gluten free will be declared as gluten free on the

label. It is important to check the product label each time you purchase a product because

it has the most accurate information about the product in the package.

Because we constantly strive to improve our products′ quality and nutritional value, the

most up-to-date product information is on the package the product is purchased in. For

that reason, we do not distribute product information lists as they could quickly become

outdated. A current list of products on the market that are gluten free can be found by

visiting www.glutenfreely.com [http://www.glutenfreely.com]. It is important to check the

package label before purchasing for the gluten-free statement on the front/side/back of

the package to verify that the package you choose is gluten free.

For products not labeled gluten free, we will always declare gluten containing

ingredients if they are added to the product. If the ingredient declaration lists wheat,

oats, barley, rye, or derivatives of these grains, then the product contains gluten.

Examples of derivative ingredients include: malt, barley malt, organic malt, semolina,

Durham, triticale, and spelt. We do not include gluten containing ingredients in the

′Natural Flavors′ or ′Spices′ on the product ingredient list. If there are gluten

ingredients in our products, those ingredients are always clearly listed.

If there are no gluten- containing ingredients listed in the product ingredient label,

but the product does not make a gluten free claim, it is because we cannot fully assure

that this product is gluten free. While we have not added gluten-containing ingredients,

factors such as sourcing, conditions of manufacture, etc. do not allow us to provide the

full level of assurance that a gluten free claim requires.

Additional information regarding gluten may be obtained by contacting your health care

professional or one of these organizations.

Celiac Sprue Association/United States of America, Inc.

PO Box 31700

Omaha, NE 68131-0700

402-558-0600

Or toll free: 877-CSA-4-CSA (877-272-4272)

www.csaceliacs.org [http://www.csaceliacs.org/]

Celiac Disease Foundation

13251 Ventura Blvd. #1

Studio City, Ca. 91604

Phone: (818)990-2354

Fax: (818)990-2379

www.celiac.org [http://www.celiac.org]

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Cecile M Davidson

Talked to a representative at Betty Crocker today. They do not use any gluten free oats in their dedicated gluten free facility!! Yeah! :D

Thanks for posting this, Roda! I was thinking of getting something to make for my less sensitive celiac father when he visits, and I'd much rather get something that's oat free as well as gluten-free, so the risk is less for me and my daughter.

Thanks for posting this, Roda! I was thinking of getting something to make for my less sensitive celiac father when he visits, and I'd much rather get something that's oat free as well as gluten-free, so the risk is less for me and my daughter.

Your welcome. :) Sadly, I will be saying goodbye to many many things again. I'm having malabsorption issues again. :(

Recieved this response from Glutino today:

We do not have oats in any of our facilities or our products.

Linda Sundborg

Glutino Customer Service

1-800-291-8386

glutenfree.com

Response from Kind Healthy Snacks:

Thank you for your interest in KIND Healthy Snacks.

All of our healthy snacks are gluten-free; they are tested for gluten and meet FDA

From Pamela's

Thank you so much for your interest in Pamela's Products and for taking time from your day to contact us! It is only through relationships with customers such as you that Pamela

Thanks for going through the trouble of contacting and posting the results from these companies for us.