This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Lunch Help

Googles

Googles Community Regular

I am starting to have to take lunch with me. I used to be able to skip lunch because I made it home early for dinner. But now I don't get home until 9 or later at night. So really I need lunch and a snack. I need things that are cheap. I have apples and carrots. But right now I'm so tired because I'm sleep deprived from classes and work that I can't think, of anything else that is good. I don't have anything except my insulated lunch bag to keep things cold and it will have to stay cold for 6-8 hours before lunch. I do have a microwave to warm things up if needed. I don't trust sandwitches to stay good on the bread (Udi's) but if you know if Pb&J stays good. Any ideas welcome.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I am starting to have to take lunch with me. I used to be able to skip lunch because I made it home early for dinner. But now I don't get home until 9 or later at night. So really I need lunch and a snack. I need things that are cheap. I have apples and carrots. But right now I'm so tired because I'm sleep deprived from classes and work that I can't think, of anything else that is good. I don't have anything except my insulated lunch bag to keep things cold and it will have to stay cold for 6-8 hours before lunch. I do have a microwave to warm things up if needed. I don't trust sandwitches to stay good on the bread (Udi's) but if you know if Pb&J stays good. Any ideas welcome.

Rice cakes with PB and jelly are better than gluten-free bread to me and they are cheaper too.

I eat gluten-free cereal (chex) as a snack without any milk--get the flavored chex or mix several types of chex and make your own chex mix. You can also do trail mix from cereal, raisins, gluten-free pretzels, sunflower seeds, banana chips, etc.

Buy or make some hummus to dip your carrots in--the protein will give you more energy.

Old Wisconsin makes beef sticks that are gluten-free and don't need to be refridgerated.

Tuna pouches are another idea--eat on gluten-free crackers or rice cakes or scoop up with corn chips or veggies.

If you get a couple ice packs you can use one each day in the insulated lunch bag and it should keep leftovers from dinner cold enough until you can microwave them.

CRashster Newbie

I'm a truck driver and kind of in the same boat. I've been living on McDonald's fries for lunch for three weeks and I know that isn't good for me. Some claim I could get CC from McDonald's, but I've been lucky and haven't yet. And I realize it's a temporary thing until I think of something better. One thing I have been thinking about was getting a soft sided lunch cooler and one of those re-usable cool paks. I want to mix up some tuna salad and eat it with Scoops. I could also have some rice cakes with peanut butter and bring some veggies.

lucky28 Explorer

Bananas and peanut or almond butter seem to hold me over, cheap and yummy. :P

JoshB Apprentice

If you have access to a microwave and a little spare change, the "Amy's Kitchen" brand of frozen lunches are all very good. My only problem with them is that #1 -- they are pretty low calorie, and I usually want a snack as well. And, #2 -- some of them are a bit high in fat.

thank you everyone. I have lunch (or an attempt at it for tomorrow.) I will add your suggestions into my shopping list for tomorrow for the next day.

thanks.

anabananakins Explorer

Salads can go a bit yucky if you can't keep them cool (it gets warm in my office). I take the whole vegetables with me (usually carrots, tomato, a pepper) and I cut them up in the office. I take hummus and cheese sticks for protein.

Peanut butter is a great standby. I have cans of tuna in my desk for in case I forget to bring stuff.

I also keep nuts in my desk drawer for if I get hungry.

If you make extra food at dinner time and freeze it (say, rice and chilli which defrost well) then it'll keep cool as it (very) slowly defrosts during the day and then you could heat it up in the microwave. It'll have the added bonus of keeping your cooler bag chilled too.

I keep a plate and bowl on my desk, and a fork, knife and spoon in my desk drawer. Saves lugging them in with me, and I don't have to worry about their availability in our shared kitchen.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

desert rose Newbie

I'm a truck driver and kind of in the same boat. I've been living on McDonald's fries for lunch for three weeks and I know that isn't good for me. Some claim I could get CC from McDonald's, but I've been lucky and haven't yet. And I realize it's a temporary thing until I think of something better. One thing I have been thinking about was getting a soft sided lunch cooler and one of those re-usable cool paks. I want to mix up some tuna salad and eat it with Scoops. I could also have some rice cakes with peanut butter and bring some veggies.

Im a super sensitive gluten intolerant (what a mouth full. Red Rooster quarter chicken and chips are gluten free.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter's favorite snack . . . apple slices dipped in peanut butter.

I prefer apple slices with a small piece of smoked gouda cheese with each slice. (I need the protein to make me feel full.)

Hardboiled eggs.

We love love love homemade chex mix . . . but we go through it pretty fast.

lynnelise Apprentice

Luna Protein bars are gluten free now. I get the cookie dough ones and they are really good at holding me over til the next meal!

Reba32 Rookie

Get an ice pack for your lunch bag and you can take gluten free lunch meats, wrap some around a cheese stick and you don't need to worry about gluten-free bread going yucky :)

A great "ploughman's lunch" is easy. Hardboiled egg, sliced meats, cheese, veggies, fruits...

Thank you again everyone. I think I am going to have to get a bigger lunch bag. Sadly I don't have my own office or any way to store anything at my work. (All the interns share an office that is actually a full time employee's office so we only have access when someone higher up isn't using it.) And have no space to put things. I was there for five hours today and spent time in three different offices. I wish there was somewhere for me to keep food, but I don't trust the refrigerators. Luckily I haven't had to work in the lunchroom yet. If that happens I'm washing down the table before I put down any of my work. ;)

Katrala Contributor

Freezer packs are pretty good sometimes. At least enough for a sandwich.

I take my lunch with me daily to work:

-Sandwiches (meat) on Udi's (I either bring condiments with me and add later or put in between other "stuff" so they don't touch the bread.)

-Taste of Thai microwave meals (I'm not a curry fan, but I eat these if I'm starving and the can of Lays Stacks is empty)

-Lays Stacks (yea for gluten-free barbecue!)

-Fruit

-Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches

-Something rolled up in lettuce (maybe OK with freezer pack)

-Soup (thermos = don't have to worry about microwave)

Personally, I could live off a jar of nutella and a spoon... :D

Archived