pricklypear1971

Cold And Flu Season - What's Your Remedy?

Rate this topic

Ok, this is the time of year I stock up on "emergency" supplies - cold meds, fever reducers, chicken soup, crackers.... And I am understating when I say its a whole new ball game this year.

So, lets swap gluten-free, dh-friendly ideas here.

My first questions is about ibuprofen. I keep hearing how it isn't good for Celiac and DH. Why exactly is that? And what is the best substitute - Tylenol?

I don't take cold meds, but hubby does and I guess I won't begrudge him Coricidin HBP since other stuff spikes his blood pressure.

What about cough drops? Any good gluten-free ones out there? I really want safe ones to keep around for all of us (don't want to kiss a gluteny mouth, do I?).

I've always been a big fan of the Neti Pot and hot tea spiked with honey and a shot of whiskey.

I have found some gluten-free canned chicken soup (but oh I will miss Campbells in a cup).

• Upvote 1

Mucinex, vitamin C, Zinc and drink lots of water.

Ibuprofen is not necessarily bad for Celiacs, just that some people's DH is sensitive to NSAIDS and or Salicylates.

You just have to try them and see if it makes your DH react. It made mine go abolutely crazy.

For colds and flu I keep the following products:

Airborne

Nyquil

Hall's Cough Drops

Tylenol, Advil, or Excedrin. I don't have issues with ibuprophin but if you are sensitive I'd go with Tylenol.

I hear a mix of ginger, honey, lemon juice, and cayenne in hot water is very good for colds/flus/sore throats. I haven't tried it myself as of yet.

I love Coldcalm pellets.  It's homeopathic and if you take according to the directions, it really knocks out a cold or infection.  I also use elderberry syrup, double up on Vitamin D and vitamin B12 and Vitamin C.  Dandelion root tea is great for sore throats.  I also use Quantum Health Super Immune tablets (I started using it for canker sores, but its also good to take when you get rundown) it has lysine, olive leaf extract & astragalus extract

Sleep. It's all I take for a cold.

I discovered Umcka this year. Pretty sure it worked....

Best bet is still the Neti Pot and sleep and Tylenol, for me.

I keep Vicks Nature Fusion on hand in the winter, liquid not pills. I don't do well with pills in the best of times, I can't imagine swallowing some with a sore throat.

I also like Halls cough drops. I keep a nice stock of a variety of flavors so I don't get in a rut.

Other than that, I always have herbal teas in the house and drink plenty of them with lemon and honey if I even think I might maybe, possibly be getting a tickle in my throat. Or, like now, if my husband is sick. I also glare at him a lot to try to ward off the germs. :lol: