sleer

Gluten And Lotions, Hair Products, Etc

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I see there is great debate on whether or not you need to be concerned with non-food products and their gluten content. I do not have DH (or at least haven't) as a symptom but was wondering if anyone has experienced any other symptoms from beauty products. Specifically, I noticed my keratin treatment contains wheat protein. I use it after I shower on my wet hair and then go to sleep with my wet hair. I have been feeling better since going gluten free even with using this product but I'm wondering if I'm still experiencing some small effects? Or I could just be paranoid at this point. I would love to hear people's thoughts.

I was using henna hair color with wheat protein, skin care with de-glutened wheat protein, oats to wash my face, and oats in my skin care.

I never noticed a problem until 3 months into gluten-free, then I started getting itching and swelling on the main contact areas these products touched.

I stopped using them and it went away.

So, you may or may not have issues or you may develop similar issues with other substances you can't identify and in the presence of gluten, assume it's gluten.

if you have gluten on your wet hair when you go to sleep, and your head touches your pillow, then if your mouth touches your pillow when you roll over, then you could very well likely be getting gluten into your system.

I had to eliminate gluten from *everything* in my home. Shampoos, conditioners, soaps, lotions, pet foods, everything.

I use Desert Essence Organics Gluten Free shampoo & conditioner - it always manages to run into my mouth in the shower - so better safe than sorry.

I use that same brand of lip balm, sunscreen & face lotion also.

I don't have confirmed DH, but I used to constantly break out in a mild red rash. All my life, I was told I just had "sensitive" skin. No more redness or bumps since changing diet & products!

I used some Aveno lotion as an experiment once on my legs; it's main ingredient is wheat. I became incredibly itchy.

I would suggest staying away from all products with gluten if you notice a reaction/if you could accidentally ingest it.

I use Desert Essence Organics Gluten Free shampoo & conditioner - it always manages to run into my mouth in the shower - so better safe than sorry.

I use that same brand of lip balm, sunscreen & face lotion also.

I don't have confirmed DH, but I used to constantly break out in a mild red rash. All my life, I was told I just had "sensitive" skin. No more redness or bumps since changing diet & products!

If you ever start having problems again, you may want to try something without seaweed (iodine) in it. I was looking at DE gluten-free products the other day and noticed high iodine ingredients.

I like their products but passed since I want to develop habits for products that are safe during a DH outbreak.