This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I Figured Out My "gluten" Source! :)

Guest imsohungry

Guest imsohungry

Hey ya'll :)

I feel like shi* today <_<

BUT...at least I know why now.

I kept reviewing my diet for possible Gluten sources...I couldn't find anything that should be causing these Gosh-awful headaches, upset stomach, and fatigue.

Then it hit me. I've been going out-to-eat ALOT recently, but I always get the same thing (which I thought was gluten-free) :ph34r::blink:

This morning I went back to the restaurant web-sites and reread their nutrition info. I always get a grilled chicken salad w/Caesar dressing and French fries at Chik-fil-A (their site says the fries are ok) or I go to Wendy's and get a junior bacon cheeseburger with no bun and an order of fries....Ah HAH! :rolleyes:

I thought I had read that Wendy's used a dedicated frier, but when I went to their website, it did not list the fries as gluten-free and stated cross-contamination issues.

I'm so happy! This is an easy fix...I just won't eat the fries anymore. ;)

Well, now that I found my source, I'm hoping to recover shortly. I am trying to cope though...I've got classes this weekend and my seizures have increased (not to mention feeling like shi* all week from glutening myself) :rolleyes:

Good grief! Take care everyone. -Julie :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frenchiemama Collaborator

Oh crappy! Well, at least you figured it out.

jenvan Collaborator

jules--

i hope those damn fries were it. i hope too that your seizures quickly die down and disappear. i can only imagine how scary those can be. feel better soon!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well I hope that is really what was it. It could be anything at those fast food places though because they can easily cross contaminate with anything.

They make your burger by itself right? Like they just don't take the bread off? That would for sure be a problem if they did.

Anyhow, feel better soon :D

Guest imsohungry

Thank you girls for the well-wishes!

Yep, I hope that the fries are my gluten-source too. Honestly, it is all that I can come up with that I haven't checked in awhile.

Yeah, Kaiti...I don't usually eat out that much (for the very reason of cross-contamination), but I've fallen behind on my grocery shopping b/c of school these past two weeks. :rolleyes:

I've also placed two orders with Kinnik and Energy, but neither have arrived (it's been ten days)...so hopefully, they will be in today or tomorrow according to their customer service dept.

You guys I really feel like ick :( ...but it's not a flu-like sick...it's more like I've been hit in the head with a hammer and pumped full of gas (fill 'er up). :lol: Definitely a gluten thing. I can't wait to get off of work today!

Many hugs to you all! -Jules :)

nettiebeads Apprentice
Hey ya'll  :)

I feel like shi* today <_<

BUT...at least I know why now.

I kept reviewing my diet for possible Gluten sources...I couldn't find anything that should be causing these Gosh-awful headaches, upset stomach, and fatigue.

Then it hit me.  I've been going out-to-eat ALOT recently, but I always get the same thing (which I thought was gluten-free)  :ph34r:  :blink:

This morning I went back to the restaurant web-sites and reread their nutrition info.  I always get a grilled chicken salad w/Caesar dressing and French fries at Chik-fil-A (their site says the fries are ok) or I go to Wendy's and get a junior bacon cheeseburger with no bun and an order of fries....Ah HAH!  :rolleyes:

I thought I had read that Wendy's used a dedicated frier, but when I went to their website, it did not list the fries as gluten-free and stated cross-contamination issues.

I'm so happy!  This is an easy fix...I just won't eat the fries anymore. ;)

Well, now that I found my source, I'm hoping to recover shortly.  I am trying to cope though...I've got classes this weekend and my seizures have increased (not to mention feeling like shi* all week from glutening myself) :rolleyes:

Good grief! Take care everyone.  -Julie :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just ate out with coworkers - There's always that nagging "what if" even though I'm as careful as I can be and ask questions...

skbird Contributor

I went to my favorite lunch place today and handed them a slip printed out with exactly how I wanted my food and it was awesome! The owner came over to say hi and we're talking about having me write up a bunch of info on gluten free for the employee training manual, and for his future restaurants (he's opening up another in town right now).

here's what I wrote:

*Gluten free* Turkey Pesto sandwich for Stephanie

VERY IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION:

* NO tomato

* Please use Ener-G Gluten Free Rice Bread

* Please wrap sandwich in foil BEFORE grilling in the panini press

* Please prepare sandwich on a piece of deli paper or something so it's not on the same surface that other sandwiches were prepared on - to avoid cross-contamination of the other breads

* Please wipe off knife before using it to spread pesto and mayo on my sandwich

* Please substitute carrot and celery sticks instead of corn chips and hummus, and please take care to make sure they don’t get cross-contamination, either.

THANKS A MILLION! You guys are awesome!!!

It was the first time in a while I felt *really* good about eating out! :)

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I believe that if a Chik-Fil-A serves breakfast that their fries are not gluten-free. A lot of loactions don't sereve breakfast and have dedicated friers.

Guest nini

The Chik Fil A rep told me that the hashbrowns for breakfast are also gluten-free so there wouldn't be any reason why they fries wouldn't be safe... is this not correct????? I've been letting Chey eat the fries...

Guest imsohungry

Evening everyone!

My shipment came from both companies! :) Finally, FOOD! :D

Stephanie,

Good for you...you seem to be all kind of help lately. ;) Wasn't it you who was saying that you were asked by your doctor to talk to new patients diagnosed with Celiac? And now the restaurant wants you too! You're in high demand lady! B)

Nettie,

Yep, dining out always leaves me with that "what if" nagging feeling too. :unsure: I guess my kitchen is the only place I know that is as close to completely gluten-free as possible. :)

As far as Chik-fil-A fries goes, all the information that I've seen says gluten-free. But if anyone finds out otherwise, please let me know!

Night everyone! Blessings. -Julie

skbird Contributor

Yeah, that's me, I'm big in gluten circles in my little town! :)

I had a great talk with the restaurant owner yesterday and he is very excited about my experiences with food and I think his mind is trying to find a way to get me into his business. He's got bigger goals than just this local restaurant, and the second he's opening, currently. He wants to put together a restaurant package that can be opened anywhere and he has connections. So you'd better believe I want to get onboard with that project, would be good for me to work somewhere I felt was doing me and other's like me some good.

I've never eaten at a Chik Fil A, nor have I even seen one. I keep thinking of Chik O Sticks or whatever those are called - finally had one of those a few years ago and was glad it didn't taste like chicken! HAHAHAHA!

Stephanie

Archived