This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New To Gluten Free Lifestyle

Ramfan

Ramfan Newbie

I am new to gluten free lifestyle but not new to the discomfort I have been dealing with for the past 10 years +. Just a brief history, had surgery for GERD and still had issues with my stomach afterwards. A few months after my surgery, I went to see my GI because not all my symptoms were alleviated, was told I had IBS and I changed my diet but saw no change, actually thought my problem increased. The last time I saw the GI was early this summer and was told that I might have an emptying issue and had a test performed but was told that I just needed to stay away from foods that caused bloating and the other issues I have been dealing with for years. Finally my primary informed me that I might be one of those individuals who tests negative and we tried another test in which I tested positive. As a side note, that week ran into an individual who told me they knew what I was going through because they had the same problem 10 years ago. Since starting a gluten-free diet, there is a major difference but when I ingest something with hidden gluten; sometimes reaction time happens within an hour, while other times it can take hours but the end results are the same. I have so many questions but first I would like to know if there is a relationship with food dyes. If there is a relationship, which food dyes should one avoid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ramfan Newbie

Forgot to add that three years ago was diagnosed with tumid lupus.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I have not heard of those with just Celiac being sensitive to food dyes.

However, there are some of us who are also Salicylate sensitive or allergic.

If this applies to you then you would also have a problem with food dyes.

Especially yellow and red dyes.

Preservatives are also a source of salicylates.

Benzoates are notoriously reactive for those with salicylate sensitivity.

Annatto, Tartrazine and Yellow #5 and #6 are especially problematic.

Unless you suspect you are reacting to food colorings or preservatives, you should be able to eat them.

Something like 1/100 are sensitive to Salicylates. But it is an extremely limiting diet and since you are just learning to be gluten free, you might focus on that and keep salicylates in mind as a secondary intolerance.

here is a site if you are interested.

It lists a lot of chemical names for salicylates that have to be watched for if they are a problem for you.

Open Original Shared Link

Ramfan Newbie

Thank you for responding and I should have clarified my situation better. Since going gluten free and shopping for gluten free items, my stomach issues have resolved but I am wondering about other things that can trigger the same reactions that I have been dealing with : bloated stomach, gurgling, gas, constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, what I like to refer to as brain fog. This past weekend attended a volleyball match and decided to have popcorn from the concession stand,what a mistake. On Sunday was at the local farmer's market and decided to have grape flavored snow cone; again another big mistake. Before each of these bad choices, I had a healthy gluten free breakfast and lunch, felt fine but afterwards here comes the bloating and the rest of the night was miserable. As for today, I am no better off and have not eaten because of the discomfort.

I will look into salicylates as my third intolerance, I also have major issues with MGS that can last up to 48 hours.

Thank you again.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

Dairy can cause these problems too and a lot of celiacs can't (at least temporarily) digest dairy until they heal up.

Dairy makes me all kindsa miserable though. Lactose, casein, and whey, no part of milk is safe for me and they sneak it into all kinds of foods.

It could definitely be dye though. Too much colored food makes me feel BLEH. But who really needs dye anyway??

Welcome to the group!

Ramfan Newbie

Thank you eatmeat4good and Jenniferxgfx, your suggestions makes a great deal of sense and looking at the websites on salicylates and gluten, I have my work cut out for me. Makes me wonder how we can make ourselves ill by all the additives in our foods.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

It's possible you have a secondary intollerance? I found soy bothers me.

We went to an outdoor festival this past weekend. I thought I could get the kettle corn, but when I asked what kind of oil they were using it was soy. :( So I couldn't have it.

Since both of the foods you mentioned bothering you contained corn ingredients, that might be a problem for you?

Figuring out all of this can be tricky. Try keeping a log of what you eat and note any symptoms you get. The hard part is that sometimes a reaction is right away, and sometimes a day or two later.

There aren't any good tests for some of these sensitivities, other than your own detective work. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ramfan Newbie

Bubba's Mom,

Your suggestion of keeping a log is an excellent idea and I will start my log tomorrow. Today I cannot eat anything because of the bad choices over the weekend. I will need to find inner strength to overcome years of slowly contaminating myself and as a friend mentioned earlier, "if you can get past the first 21 days, you will succeed."

Thank you all and I am so glad I found this website.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Salicylates. Made me break out in a DH rash, neuro symptoms for 2 weeks. I don't typically get stomach issues, but have experienced a few intermittent ones after going gluten-free.

I'm never quite sure why or what but I know sals like colorings, preservatives literally make me nuts, break out in a rash, and have anxiety and brain fog. In short, sick sick sick.

Archived