This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ever Feel Like Giving Up?

Gfresh404

domesticactivist Collaborator

It makes perfect sense that you are having a hard time... you are trying your best to do what you need to do for your health, yet you still feel like crap! Anyone, especially when dealing with depression or other mood disorders is going to feel bad.

We noticed that just being gluten-free was not enough for our family. GAPS made a big difference for us, and addressed the mental health side of the issues. You might look into it. (I have a GAPS Resources page on the blog linked from my profile). It may seem impractical to do in college, but actually if you have a crock pot, a freezer & fridge, a hot plate, a sink, and a cupboard or counter space, it's doable.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I feel like giving up too.

My Dr. questions my DX because I'm newly DXed at the age of 54. She said it should have shown up sooner if I really have it. I said I thought I had a soy sensitivity too, because I get all sorts of neuro symptoms if I ingest it. She said "soy can't do that".

My blood work was negative, but biopsy showed flattened villi and a couple of ulcerations.

I asked her for a Hashi's test because I seem to have a lot of symptoms, and she said no. She did agree to testing my TSH level though. I won't find out the results until I go back in 2 months.

My GI doesn't seem to know much about Celiac? She ordered blood tests for vitamin/mineral levels and they weren't too bad at that time. She told me to just not eat gluten and I'd be fine. When I asked about my damage and the Marsh scale she didn't know what I was talking about.

I feel tired, depressed, hopeless. On Satarday night I talked to my son on the phone and he suggested I contact the various treatment centers and see if they could recommend an experienced Dr. in my area. I told my hubby I thought I should try it. On Sunday morning I logged onto the computer to check emails, etc. Hubby came into the room and asked if I had contacted the places yet. I told him I had just logged on and hadn't even made coffee yet. He yelled at me that I wasn't trying to do anything to help myself and that I'm just a whiner..went on and on. :(

I am always vigilant about making sure I'm not consuming even traces of gluten, but my hubby and son still eat it. Neither one is the least bit careful about trying to keep it contained.

I picked up the TV remote and it was covered with bright orange powder from cheese curls they had been eating. When I told them they keep poisoning me they told me I was rediculous.

I feel like crap, and I'm tired. I don't want to eat..in fact I've gotten so I'm afraid to eat.

I'm taking a handful of vitamins/minerals every day and use melatonin to sleep.

Sometimes I think I should just stop eating/taking anything..and let nature take it's course.

I wish you were here in front of me so I could give you a hug. I'm sorry your DH is being so difficult. He should be trying to help you. Get a plastic baggie and put it over that remote. That will make it easy to clean when they get their contaminated hands all over it. This disease is hard enough to deal with by itself but when we don't have our loved ones support it makes it even harder.

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

I feel like giving up too.

My Dr. questions my DX because I'm newly DXed at the age of 54. She said it should have shown up sooner if I really have it. I said I thought I had a soy sensitivity too, because I get all sorts of neuro symptoms if I ingest it. She said "soy can't do that".

My blood work was negative, but biopsy showed flattened villi and a couple of ulcerations.

I asked her for a Hashi's test because I seem to have a lot of symptoms, and she said no. She did agree to testing my TSH level though. I won't find out the results until I go back in 2 months.

My GI doesn't seem to know much about Celiac? She ordered blood tests for vitamin/mineral levels and they weren't too bad at that time. She told me to just not eat gluten and I'd be fine. When I asked about my damage and the Marsh scale she didn't know what I was talking about.

I feel tired, depressed, hopeless. On Satarday night I talked to my son on the phone and he suggested I contact the various treatment centers and see if they could recommend an experienced Dr. in my area. I told my hubby I thought I should try it. On Sunday morning I logged onto the computer to check emails, etc. Hubby came into the room and asked if I had contacted the places yet. I told him I had just logged on and hadn't even made coffee yet. He yelled at me that I wasn't trying to do anything to help myself and that I'm just a whiner..went on and on. :(

I am always vigilant about making sure I'm not consuming even traces of gluten, but my hubby and son still eat it. Neither one is the least bit careful about trying to keep it contained.

I picked up the TV remote and it was covered with bright orange powder from cheese curls they had been eating. When I told them they keep poisoning me they told me I was rediculous.

I feel like crap, and I'm tired. I don't want to eat..in fact I've gotten so I'm afraid to eat.

I'm taking a handful of vitamins/minerals every day and use melatonin to sleep.

Sometimes I think I should just stop eating/taking anything..and let nature take it's course.

I feel ya - definitely get a new Doctor. And I would just try to explain to your Husband and Child how truly sensitive an individual can be to something. Some of my relatives thought I was nuts too when I tried to explain to them about cross-contamination. It's definitely a frustrating conversation because you don't want to be a jerk about it, but at the same time you definitely don't want to get sick. Just try to have patience and consider looking at it from their perspective. Just remember you can only control your actions - you can't control anyone else's. Hang in there, I'm sure things will get better, change is never easy.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thanks so much for understang..and for your support.

I met with a dietician that usually counsels diabetic patients. She had a lot of mis-information and didn't know the answers to some of my questions. She told me to just eat the gluten free verasions of the foods I had to give up..and Bob's Red Mill was highly recommended.

I explained the 20ppm allowed in gluten-free and how it can add up. Whole foods are best, especially at first.

I told her lots of people have problems with BRM products having cc. I explained to her why it would matter if shampoo and cosmetics contain gluten and she copied the list of those ingredients for her file. I liked her, she was just not very helpful.

I asked her if she knew any Dr.s experienced with treating Celiac, and a friend of hers is one, but isn't covered by my insurance.

I know it was an imposition, but I sent her a note asking her if she could ask her friend if he knows of any other Docs..in the hopes I can find one in my insurance plan.

Archived