Finally@45

Symptom Reduction With Multivitamins

Rate this topic

I was recently diagnosed through lab tests. I've been having a problems with itching (w/o skin conditions) and observed a curious phenomena that I'm wondering if there is already some research available.

My itching hasn't responded to over the counter antihistamines and I was given Atarax which basically just seems to reduce the effect, without any real solution. I noticed the other day that my symptoms seemed to subside while I'm eating and start back up soon after. I thought I must have been imagining it, but sure enough, after a few bites of food, the itching is usually gone or barely noticeable. When I finish eating, the itching comes back and then I take an Atarax.

Then I noticed that the itching goes away when I take a multivitamin, and comes back an hour or two later. (I usually take a vitamin in between meals.)

Could it be that my intestinal lining is damaged and reducing my absorption of nutrients and something more complex is happening that once I get a dose of nutrients coming in that seems to temporarily "get me over" for a short period?

I've tried avoiding eggs, soy, and other things for a few days, no luck. The itching keeps coming back and driving me nuts.

I was recently diagnosed through lab tests. I've been having a problems with itching (w/o skin conditions) and observed a curious phenomena that I'm wondering if there is already some research available.

My itching hasn't responded to over the counter antihistamines and I was given Atarax which basically just seems to reduce the effect, without any real solution. I noticed the other day that my symptoms seemed to subside while I'm eating and start back up soon after. I thought I must have been imagining it, but sure enough, after a few bites of food, the itching is usually gone or barely noticeable. When I finish eating, the itching comes back and then I take an Atarax.

Then I noticed that the itching goes away when I take a multivitamin, and comes back an hour or two later. (I usually take a vitamin in between meals.)

Could it be that my intestinal lining is damaged and reducing my absorption of nutrients and something more complex is happening that once I get a dose of nutrients coming in that seems to temporarily "get me over" for a short period?

I've tried avoiding eggs, soy, and other things for a few days, no luck. The itching keeps coming back and driving me nuts.

Itching can happen from several different things, some you have probably already tried as they are the most obvious but my question would be what is in your diet right now? I went thru an itchy spell not long ago. I was loading my diet with frsh garden produce, thinking it was best for me but the veggies I was were high in Salicylates which act an an anti-inflammitory but too much can be like overdosing on pain relivers. I was itching like you described, no bumps. Foods that can cause this- tomatoes, zuchinni, cucumbers, eggplant, raspberries, strawberries, canned green olives. There is a whole list you can fin on the Internet. As sson as I eliminated these the itching went away.

What I have done since is I have added them only once a week into my diet and I have made sure all skins are peeled and have had no reaction.

Not sure this is your situation but thought I would add my own expereince.

Thanks, I think I'm going to conclude we all must occasionally go through phases of not getting enough nutrients and for those of us that itch, that's just our body's way of alarming us.

I took a multivitamin and 4,000u of Vitamin D at different times yesterday and the itching stayed under control much, much better than taking Atarax. Today I've taken a multivitamin and 1,000 Vit D,the itching almost immediately stopped and after a few hours the itching is just now barely noticable again. There's got to be a correlation, hopefully I can drop back to once a day on the Vit D in a short period.

The itching comes around just every now and then for the last 20 years, but this has been the worst ever. I noticed on an old post that someone complained of terrible symptoms just after diagnosis and begining the gluten-free diet. To be honest, in my case, I suspect I would get a positive diagnosis, so I pigged out on bread for a week before the tests and then immediately got righteous. My joints hurt so bad I could barely walk after that binge. I suspect I've cause my own problems with the itching too.