This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Know If I Have Gluten Intolerance?

Abdu

Abdu Newbie

I am trying a gluten free diet just to see if it makes a difference in my health. For example if I have more energy.

I have two questions:

1- How do I know if I have any kind of gluten intolerance?

2- How long should I try a gluten free diet to determine if it made any difference?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

First, if you are still consuming gluten ask your Dr. to run a Celiac panel. Once you go off gluten tests won't read accurately. Some people need the official DX to stay on the diet without cheating for the rest of their lives. If your Dr. wants to order an endoscope to look for damage, that must be done while still consuming gluten too.

If blood tests aren't an option for you, for whatever reason, and you want to try the diet, you must be 100% gluten free to get a true idea. Be sure you are not consuming small traces of it. Get a new tooth brush, get rid of wooden spoons, replace your wooden cutting board. If you have non-stick cookware and it has any scratches don't use it.

Eat mostly fresh fruit and veggies, non processed meats, and dairy if you tolerate it well. Rice is OK. Skip fast food. It has a good chance of being contaminated with gluten.

A trial of 3 months should tell you if gluten is your problem. (most of us notice a difference before going that long though.) Then, eat some and see if you get a reaction.

If you do, gluten is a problem food for you.

Be aware, that if you go off gluten and it's what is causing your problems, you will have to remain gluten-free to be/feel healthy. Later, if you want an official DX you would have to start eating gluten again. Almost impossible to tolerate.

Good luck to you..I hope you get your answers.

Kaz70 Newbie

I have recently been tested for celiac/gluten intolerance.

A blood test came back with EliA Gliadin IgA at 322.82 and EliA Gliadin IgG at 363.24, what is the normal range? I am told this is high and I am gluen intolerant but how high? Does anyone know what the normal amount is?

Cheers Kaz

sa1937 Community Regular

A blood test came back with EliA Gliadin IgA at 322.82 and EliA Gliadin IgG at 363.24, what is the normal range? I am told this is high and I am gluen intolerant but how high? Does anyone know what the normal amount is?

Cheers Kaz

Welcome, Kaz! Does your lab report show a reference range for the above readings? If you don't have a copy of the lab report, you should pick one up and it should indicate those ranges.

Skylark Collaborator

I am trying a gluten free diet just to see if it makes a difference in my health. For example if I have more energy.

I have two questions:

1- How do I know if I have any kind of gluten intolerance?

2- How long should I try a gluten free diet to determine if it made any difference?

Before you go off gluten you need to be tested for celiac disease. Celiac tests do not work after you've been on a gluten-free diet. You know you have any kind of gluten intolerance if you feel better off gluten. Most people with gluten intolerance rather than celiac feel better within a few weeks. Celiac can take months to years depending on how bad the autoimmune damage is.

Cheers Kaz

The normal range should be on the lab slip. It's different between diagnostic labs. The level of antibodies doesn't actually correlate that well to symptoms, so it's more of a yes/no for the antibodies. I take it your doctor is following up with TTG and anti-endomysial tests or were those negative? You need to be fairly aggressive with your doctor to be sure you get proper celiac testing and a biopsy with the positive anti-gliadin antibodies.

Archived