This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Out For Ice Cream

Guest BERNESES

Guest BERNESES

Hi- I've been really having a hrad time managing my diet lately and I suspect that one of the problems is going out for ice cream. I haven't felt well the last two times even after I made sure the ice cream was gluten-free with the company and had the scooper use a clean, fresh scoop (of course I'm getting it in a cup :D ) .

My suspicion is that even if they used a clean scoop, if a previously uncleaned scoop had touched that ice cream after touching something like cookies and cream I could be getting cross-contagulated (my silly word for cross-contamination). Thanks, Beverly

I'm freaking out about getting this sensitive! It makes me wonder if there's something else wrong because I have been sick so MUCH lately despite my best efforts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I definitely avoid going out for ice cream. Oh wait... that's the dairy intolerance. ;-)

I'd definitely ask them to wash the scooper in clean water, but you may find that it's already been contaminated and you might have to go for soft-serve type ice creams or frozen yogurt.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I go out for ice cream but I do the soft serve because that way you do not have to worry about that.

Ice cream scoops can be a problem with cross contamination so I avoid that.

You see even if they had a clean scoop there could still be traces in the ice cream because they use the same scoops in the ice cream so I would think when they get your ice cream with the clean scoop there would be traces. They should have 1 scoop for every flavor so there is not a worry with that.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks ladies- just as I suspected! Beverly

rmmadden Contributor

Unfortunately I avoid eating Ice Cream out pretty much altogether. I went around my local places at the beginning of the summer and asked all the questions, etc. and had them wash the scoops and yet I still ended up getting glutened :angry:

Now If my family goes out I pretty much abstain unless it's DQ and then I get the vanilla soft-serve in a cup. I look at it this way......I could always go home to some Ben & Jerry's if I really crave Ice cream.

Oh well,

Cleveland Bob B)

robbiesmom Rookie

Definitely stick with softserve, but make sure it is okay-I suspect that I might have the same problem as my Son-I get sick when I eat Sonic but I am fine with Dairy Queen.

skbird Contributor

I totally get the paranoia about being this sensitive. I have been having ongoing stomach problems for the last couple of months and have been trying to figure out why. My latest is that my husband got these gluteny cat treats he gives the cat while lying in bed. Though he, at my insistance, doesn't pet the cat after, doesn't wipe his hands on the bed, gets up in fact and washes his hands and even sometimes changes his shirt, I still am worried this could be part of the problem for me. Fortunately the treats are almost gone and then I won't have to worry about them anymore.

It's driving me nuts that I can't figure out what is getting to me. I'll have a good day and then a few bad days in a row. I just can't face the idea of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, either. Blech.

I did go out for ice cream recently and it wasn't until I got the ice cream in the cup I thought, geez, maybe the scoop contaminated this! A little slow there. But then I ate it anyway and didn't get sick - it was a little Russian Roulette on that one. Sort of glad to know I'm not the only one who worries on this level.

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BERNESES

I know- I'm really starting to get upset about this. I REALLY don't mind the diet but it seems my sensitivity has gotten completely out of control (IMO) and I just don't know what to do. Same as you- I'll have a good day- like yesterday- and then horrible ones. And the worst part, at this point, is that I don't even have a diagnosis (long story) so I don't know who to go to. My primary care, I think at least, believes me but she's on vacation this week. My GI guy is useless. :(

ianm Apprentice

I don't go out for ice cream, too much risk of cross contamination. I only eat ice cream brands that I know are safe and that I opened and dished out.

Guest BERNESES

Thanks all- I'm learning this the hard way.

Guest barbara3675

You only go round once folks......stick with Dairy Queen, have a blizzard made with either white or chocolate and one of the candies that is gluten-free. My favorite is chocolate with M & Ms, it was a great summer for me.

Barbara

Merika Contributor

Stephanie (joining in on paranoia here, lol)

You might as well be rolling around in a bed with toast, lol!!! Have you ever looked at your floor after your cats eat?? Well, maybe yours have better manners than mine, but my floor is TRASHED after just one meal.....I can't imagine cat treats in bed :o

Merika :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, excellent idea about softserve--avoid the scoops altogether. Then it's just, can I have it in a bowl/cup rather than cone. Good one, Kaiti.

WLJOHNSON Newbie

Hi,

Have you ever thought that you might be intolerant of milk and dairy products? Many Celiacs are. As you go along, consider that you may have intolerances that will show themselves in time, and be super vigilant about your responses to all foods. That certainly isn't being paranoid--it's just being cautious.

I am 60 and have had Celiac since age 8, but of course no one knew why I was suffering then. After years of eliminating certain foods I know that I am allergic to all grains, all milk and dairy, egg whites, and yeast. It took me a long time to figure out that the margarine I was eating had whey, certain foods had casein (whey and casein come from milk), and maltodextrin bothered me as well.

You might want to eat Soy Delicious Ice Cream, and they even have a new chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bar that contains no milk and is wonderful.

Good luck to you! Welda Lou

mstrain Rookie

Wow, I feel lame. I just posted on another thread how time consuming it is planning, shopping and preparing a gluten-free meal, and you have all those allergies. How and what do you eat? I am amazed everyday by the people on this board - how they have survived intense and on-going pain and how hard they work to conquer it. I am still in the "feeling sorry for myself" stage and hope to get out of it quickly - you are all an inspiration. Just give me a kick in the butt anytime I sound whiny!

Guest nini

I had been going to Cold Stone Creamery and still getting sick even with all the precautions. I hadn't given any thought to the ice cream in the canister already being contaminated from the scoops... silly me. Guess we'll stick with Dairy Queen... oh and McDonald's Hot Fudge Sundae YUMMMMM!

I've noticed that I'm really getting sensitive to so many ingredients in food as well... as long as I keep my diet simple and as close to the way nature intended it, I do so much better. It's only when I eat crap (junk food) that I feel really terrible.

VydorScope Proficient

Is DQ the only safe Icecream place then?

IM soooo parnoid about taking my son anywhere now... and its only worse since we have egg to worry about now too. :(

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Is DQ the only safe Icecream place then?

IM soooo parnoid about taking my son anywhere now... and its only worse since we have egg to worry about now too. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I trust TCBY(at least here where I live)

The DQ where I live I do not trust though...so it does depend on the place.

If you are scared to take him anywhere the best thing to do is buy the ice cream you know he can have.

Guest BERNESES

I'm staying away from lactose for awhile I think. A month or so and then I'll try reintroducing it VERY SLOWLY and see how it goes. I actually had the best day today I've had in a long time and I had no lactose yesterday or today. I think I can tolerate it generally in small amounts but lately I've had too many accidents (which have made me realize how super senbsitive i am ) so I'm going to give myself a chance to feel better and then try a small amount of lactose again and see what happens. I just wish the learning curve wasn't so hard on this! Ahhhhhh!!!!! Beverly

Merika Contributor

Just a thought....could you go to the ice cream store and buy a pint of the flavor you want (and not eat the whole thing obviously)? Would it be safe then from scoop contamination?

Merika

Guest kmmolina
Wow, I feel lame.  I just posted on another thread how time consuming it is planning, shopping and preparing a gluten-free meal, and you have all those allergies.  How and what do you eat?  I am amazed everyday by the people on this board - how they have survived intense and on-going pain and how hard they work to conquer it.  I am still in the "feeling sorry for myself" stage and hope to get out of it quickly - you are all an inspiration.  Just give me a kick in the butt anytime I sound whiny!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Michele...don't feel like you are whiney. It is a bit overwhelming...especially in the beginning...Kathleen

Archived