AVR1962

Reaction To Bananas And Pears?

Rate this topic

My 11 year old grand daughter who is gluten-free with asthsma had a reaction to a pear. This is the same reaction she gets from bananas and lemonade. Would anyone have a clue what is in these that could be causing the rection?

What kind of reaction are you speaking of? GI? Hives?

My DS has something called FPIES to bananas. It's not an allergy but it DOES send him into shock.

Oh sorry.....when she gets these attacks she has trouble beathing and has to take a asthma treatment. Her skin also gets red blotches.

Something to consider seriously with a reaction to bananas is latex allergy. Bananas are a strong cross-reactor with latex. Does she get "band-aid" marks from band-aids(non-latex-free ones)? An allergist can do a skin test. Latex allergy is also associated with asthma. It would be inportant to find out because with latex allergy there are many things that should be avoided, esp. in a medical setting but also in our everyday world. My son and I are latex allergic. I used to get red band-aid marks but if I use latex-free no mark at all!

It happens to be latex allergy awareness week this week. http://latexallergyresources.org/

• Upvote 2

Something to consider seriously with a reaction to bananas is latex allergy. Bananas are a strong cross-reactor with latex. Does she get "band-aid" marks from band-aids(non-latex-free ones)? An allergist can do a skin test. Latex allergy is also associated with asthma. It would be inportant to find out because with latex allergy there are many things that should be avoided, esp. in a medical setting but also in our everyday world. My son and I are latex allergic. I used to get red band-aid marks but if I use latex-free no mark at all!

It happens to be latex allergy awareness week this week. http://latexallergyresources.org/

Thanks, I will take a look at the link.

It definitely sounds like an allergy. My son has a banana allergy. There are actually two different forms of banana allergies. One causes hives and what most people think of as the typical allergic reaction. The other causes a GI reaction which involves vomiting after exposure. My son has the 2nd form. From what I was told the latex link is a lot more common with the GI reaction. I'd investigate it either way though. FWIW, it does not appear that my son reacts to latex, at least not yet. He's only 10 months old though.