This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do I Need A Colonoscopy?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

I'm going to see my doctor for my 6 month check up after going gluten free. When I got my 3 month blood work done, he was shocked with how much I've improved. I'm feeling pretty good, so I'm hoping that my tTg levels will have gotten even better.

What I'm concerned about now is the possibility of getting a colonoscopy done. When I was at the doctor last I told him that I was experiencing stringy/lose BMs. He said that can be normal for Celiacs but that we should do a colonoscopy just to make sure that nothing else is wrong. I'm weary about this test because two of my other family members have had colonoscopies done. Their results were normal, but their stomachs had an extremely difficult time after the procedure was done (even I reacted badly after my endoscopy). He said that if I wanted to, I could wait to see if it's gotten better by our next visit, so I opted to do that.

I know that some doctors want to do unnecessary tests so that they make more money. I actually caught my doctor doing that last time. He wanted to run a gene test only to confirm my diagnosis - I said, "Well, I'm diagnosed by blood work and biopsy/endoscopy - so you want to triple confirm it?" We ended up not doing that test.

My insurance also will not cover a colonoscopy, so I'll be paying for it out of my own pocket.

As of now, my BMs have seemed to have gotten better. I'm pretty regular and many times they are formed like they're supposed to be. But sometimes after I go to the bathroom I'll have to go again an hour later and will get the stringy/lose ones again (side note - I highly doubt I'm being glutened and having this as a result). I'm afraid that he's going to tell me to get a colonoscopy, whether I really need it or not.

Do any of you experience BMs like this? What do you think I should do if he suggests running the test?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

If the situation is improving then maybe wait a bit longer since you are paying out of pocket. It can sometimes take a year or two to completely heal and you are seeing improvement.

Of course if you have any doubts about your health it's better to be safe than sorry! Just given that you don't seem to think it's needed and you are seeing good improvement I'd see if you could wait a little longer for more healing to occur!

sa1937 Community Regular

Since you're doing so well, personally I'd wait unless you have lots of money or feel a compelling need to have a colonoscopy. Just because a doctor suggests something, doesn't mean you have to go along with it especially since your insurance won't cover it.

It takes time to get well and it sounds like you are doing great.

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I vote waiting it out. As long as you're not having bloody or tarry stools and going fewer than a dozen times a day, and you're correlating your troubles with gluten exposure more often than not, odds are good you've got plain old celiac and you'll heal up over time and become more normal.

Out of pocket costs, plus traumatic procedure, plus a family history of not reacting well would make ME put it off awhile!

organicmama Contributor

I agree to put off. Docs give advice - suggestions. It is up to you whether you want to move forward.

cahill Collaborator

I put my colonscopy off way to long.

I would suggest if you have ANY concerns of any thing else going on or if you are in your 40's I would say do and get it done and over with.

but if you are in your 20's and feel confidant that celiacs is all that is going on with you by all means put it off until you turn 50

jebby Enthusiast

I agree with those that say you should hold off. Most of the serious large bowel disorders I can think of (and that could be diagnosed on a colonoscopy) involve not only mucus, but blood in the stool, which it sounds like you're not having. Did your GI doc mention what conditions he/she would be looking for on the colonoscopy? If so, are any alternate (and cheaper and less invasive) tests available?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

WinterSong Community Regular

Thanks everyone for the advice! I think I'm going to hold off on it. I'm only in my mid-twenties, and I'm not experiencing any of those complications like blood or mucus in my stool. My doctor last time said that he wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong. He didn't say that there was something specific that he thought was imperative that he look for with this test.

Well, I have my 6-month appointment scheduled for the 17th, so hopefully all will go well!

Archived