The Horticulturalist

Casein Intolerance - Has It Ever Improved For You?

Rate this topic

Have been gluten and dairy free for a year or so, tried lactose free but the GI symptoms were just the same.

Having been unable to find anything online about this I thought I'd ask here if anyone who was once casein intolerant in the past is now able to eat it, and how long did this take?

I can leave the gluten behind, but I'd love to think that I'd be able to enjoy cheese again in the future.

Hi horticulturist,

I was able to tolerate casein about 18 months after eliminating it. (I may have been able to reintroduce it earlier, but I was reluctant because of the side effects.)

Once I wasn't having problems with it, I went a little overboard.

Had so many cheeses, ice cream, milk, half-n-half, all of that, risotto.

This week I'm having a rough time. It could maybe be the chick pea flour I used in flat bread (with some cheese). So for right now they're both on hold... to be tried again after I give my system some time to repair.

I started intolerant to cows milk. Sheep and goat were OK but I would react to even the small amounts of cow casein in butter or non-dairy creamer. It took about a year until I could eat cow casein again. I discovered it by accident, when I ate something cooked in butter by mistake.

I did my first casein challenge a couple weeks ago after being 15 months gluten-free/DF/SF. It was only about 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese on gluten free pizza. Prior to going gluten-free/DF/SF, that amount of casein would make the room spin within minutes and I'd be brain foggy for days. And while I can't say I wasn't without reaction - about 10 minutes after eating I felt just a bit "weird" in the head, and had a minor tummy pinching in the hours afterward - I'm still encouraged. I didn't have any other intestinal trouble as a result, although I've never really reacted that way in the past.

I plan to wait a few more months and try again.

My daughter and I have been gluten and dairy free for >6 months. Previously, any amount of either would throw us for a loop.

Last night, we tried a gluten free pizza with mozzarela from Mellow Mushroom. I read the dairy issue may lessen when your GI heals from the gluten damage.

The pizza caused no problems for either of us. Maybe, we can have some from time to time.

This is great news for us!

Anyone have similar experiences?

JWSJ