This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Ketchup That's Also Sugar Free

plumbago

plumbago Experienced

Last time I bought ketchup I bought Annie's because I knew it was gluten-free. And added bonus: on the front it said "no added sugar." So I come home and taste it, and it tastes sweet. I look on the back, and there it is: agave.

Does anyone have a good rec for gluten-free ketchup that is also sugar free? That includes sugars from cane or fruit. Does such a thing even exist anymore?

Thanks.

Plumbago

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I guess you could make your own?

Open Original Shared Link

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I guess you could make your own?

That recipe uses brown sugar. OP, I have seen recipes that use honey or molasses or even pure maple syrup but I never seen one without any form of sweetener. Without something to sweeten it, it's not ketchup--it would just be a very bitter/acidic tomato sauce because of the vinegar. If you are not able to use any of the above mentioned natural forms of sugar you could try playing around with stevia. I dislike the taste of stevia immensly, but people on low carb or candida diets swear by it. You might even find a recipe if you google "stevia ketchup".

plumbago Experienced

That recipe uses brown sugar. OP, I have seen recipes that use honey or molasses or even pure maple syrup but I never seen one without any form of sweetener. Without something to sweeten it, it's not ketchup--it would just be a very bitter/acidic tomato sauce because of the vinegar. If you are not able to use any of the above mentioned natural forms of sugar you could try playing around with stevia. I dislike the taste of stevia immensly, but people on low carb or candida diets swear by it. You might even find a recipe if you google "stevia ketchup".

what I found: Open Original Shared Link

has some kind of sweetner, but it says zero sugars. I think it is possible to find ketchup that at least has a reduced amount of sugars.

what I found: Open Original Shared Link

has some kind of sweetner, but it says zero sugars. I think it is possible to find ketchup that at least has a reduced amount of sugars.

That one contains XYLITOL which is a sugar alcohol that can be extracted form many of the things you said you didn't want to use: Open Original Shared Link If you are avoiding those foods you might want to find out what their source is for for the xylitol. Also, be careful if you try it as xylitol can cause some gastro side effects similar to what celiacs go through: Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

Good luck with that. Botanically the tomato is a fruit. Although ketchup has vinegar as an ingredient, it is otherwise similar to a jam made from any other fruit. Sugar is a key ingredient. Sugar substitutes can be used, but some sort of sweetener is needed to offset the vinegar.

You can always leave the sugar out. But it probably won't taste like ketchup.

I did see one recipe using Bragg's Amino's...don't remember if it was that one or not.

Some vinegars would be milder - apple cider, etc.

Funny, I remember someone telling me ketchup used to

not be so sweet...perhaps my grandmother??

If you regularly go without sugars I'm sure you know of a good way to substitute sweetness.

Also, and I don't know if this matters to you but my can of organic diced tomatoes says there are 4g sugar/ half cup. A tablespoon of cane sugar has 4g sugar/Tablespoon. So, ketchup will contain fruit sugar (since it is technically a fruit). No different than a few tablespoons of fruit juice or date sugar....

All this is splitting hairs...if you can't handle "sugary" foods traditional ketchup is probably not your thing. You will have to modify a recipe using ingredients that work for you.

Good luck!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heatherjane Contributor

The book, The Paleo Diet, has a recipe for ketchup. I can't remember the ingredients off-hand, but that could be an option if you are willing to look it up. That diet allows no sweeteners except fruits.

I also found this...no sugar listed at all: Open Original Shared Link

love2travel Mentor

The book, The Paleo Diet, has a recipe for ketchup. I can't remember the ingredients off-hand, but that could be an option if you are willing to look it up. That diet allows no sweeteners except fruits.

I also found this...no sugar listed at all: Open Original Shared Link

Sadly OP included fruits on her list. I was going to recommend using homemade applesauce or apple butter but that wouldn't work, either... :(

heatherjane Contributor

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but the link I provided has no sugar listed in it at all. Not sure what it tastes like, though. :P

plumbago Experienced

Guys, I can handle traditional foods. It's just that over the years, I know ketchup has gotten sweeter and sweeeter, and I wish I didn't have to feel like I'm having a dessert on top of my hamburger! And, I amended my request to say REDUCED sugar. So that's really what I'm after.

But thanks for all your replies and responses.

Plumbago.

Guys, I can handle traditional foods. It's just that over the years, I know ketchup has gotten sweeter and sweeeter, and I wish I didn't have to feel like I'm having a dessert on top of my hamburger! And, I amended my request to say REDUCED sugar. So that's really what I'm after.

But thanks for all your replies and responses.

Plumbago.

Haha! :lol: Well that's what you get when you ask a board used to answering questions from people with multiple sensitivies and allergies. I think we were all under the impression you couldn't have ANY sugar! :ph34r: Thanks for clarifying. There are many reduced sugar ketchups out there you just have to watch the type of sweetener they add. And if you make it yourself you can always adjust the sugar to your taste/dietary needs. :)

plumbago Experienced

There are many reduced sugar ketchups out there

Might you be able to share the brands with me?

Thanks.

There are many reduced sugar ketchups out there

Might you be able to share the brands with me?

Thanks.

Well I know Heinz makes one that is only 1 carb, but I think it has sucralose--if you don't mind the type of sugar you can find plenty of them. Pretty much most of the mainstream brands have a "reduced sugar" formulation fro diabetics. Are you wanting one that is also organic?

kareng Grand Master

I think you are saying that they taste too sweet? Maybe make your own & adjust the sweet? You could probably freeze it in little bits tohave some fresh next week.

All this talk about Ketchup has made me crave some! I just had to throw a few Ore-Ida fries in the oven! :blink:

plumbago Experienced

Yes, good ketchup's great.

Turns out, it wasn't the sweetener per se, it was that agave. Yech!

I bought some Heinz, and even though it's got one more g of sugar than Annie's (Heinz has 5) I love it. It's so much better. Annie's should halve the agave. Or leave it out.

Sorry for the drama.

I understand about the agave. It takes a fraction of agave compared to sugar to sweeten. It's popular in margaritas and I forbid people to use it, except if I do it. Literally 1drop.

Btw, if you are near trader Joe's they have excellent ketchup. My mother always raves about the taste compared to others. She says the flavor is much better -I like it but have been using it so long I don't know the difference anymore.

Juliebove Rising Star

I once bought this stuff from Walden Farms. It does contain Splenda but it was not sweet. Tasted like eating straight tomato paste. Yucky wucky doo doo.

Archived