Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
carecare

Would You Wait For Endoscopy Or Schedule It Sooner?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I had my 18 yr old's appointment today ..with the ped GI dr. She's scheduled for her endoscopy Dec. 20...my boys are scheduled on the 16th. I mentioned how my boys have been suffering from day one of going back on gluten 10 days ago. He asked if I thought we'd make it until Dec. 16th or not. I said it's certainly difficult knowing one is having daily stomach pain and fatigue and the other is daily muscle pain, canker sores and fatigue. He said if it's too difficult to call and try getting them in sooner for the endoscopy. I'm just worried that if we do it sooner the chance of seeing any damage will be less likely. So we have 3 choices. Call in for an endoscopy sooner than later, wait until december or just call it off. He definitely seems like a doctor who unless it's a positive celiac biopsy that it's not that serious of an issue. I asked if tests were negative yet we know gluten contributes to the ill health of the kids would schools see that as something they have to accommodate. He said it depends on the school/college. We'd have to call and see what they'd do for someone labeled gluten intolerant vs celiac as he said "gluten intolerance" isn't looked at as much of a medical issue and colleges usually don't accommodate like they would for someone with celiac. That really is crazy to me..be we do know that someone who is gluten intolerant can be just as sick from gluten as someone labeled celiac. Grrr...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my 18 yr old's appointment today ..with the ped GI dr. She's scheduled for her endoscopy Dec. 20...my boys are scheduled on the 16th. I mentioned how my boys have been suffering from day one of going back on gluten 10 days ago. He asked if I thought we'd make it until Dec. 16th or not. I said it's certainly difficult knowing one is having daily stomach pain and fatigue and the other is daily muscle pain, canker sores and fatigue. He said if it's too difficult to call and try getting them in sooner for the endoscopy. I'm just worried that if we do it sooner the chance of seeing any damage will be less likely. So we have 3 choices. Call in for an endoscopy sooner than later, wait until december or just call it off. He definitely seems like a doctor who unless it's a positive celiac biopsy that it's not that serious of an issue. I asked if tests were negative yet we know gluten contributes to the ill health of the kids would schools see that as something they have to accommodate. He said it depends on the school/college. We'd have to call and see what they'd do for someone labeled gluten intolerant vs celiac as he said "gluten intolerance" isn't looked at as much of a medical issue and colleges usually don't accommodate like they would for someone with celiac. That really is crazy to me..be we do know that someone who is gluten intolerant can be just as sick from gluten as someone labeled celiac. Grrr...

how long were the boys off gluten?? Being gluten free for even a short while can effect endoscopy results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were off of gluten from the beginning of August until the later part of September. Maybe a month and a half. Yes, that is why I was concerned about making sure they are on it long enough to show any damage. It's hard to believe how once off gluten...then back on it...how much more severe the reaction becomes. Well, certainly for my boys.

how long were the boys off gluten?? Being gluten free for even a short while can effect endoscopy results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were off of gluten from the beginning of August until the later part of September. Maybe a month and a half. Yes, that is why I was concerned about making sure they are on it long enough to show any damage. It's hard to believe how once off gluten...then back on it...how much more severe the reaction becomes. Well, certainly for my boys.

Yes, that is a problem because the reaction can be so much worse. If you are determined to go for the biopsy I would not push for a sooner appt. since even six weeks is a dubious amount of time for a positive test :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×