o2guy

Still Learning

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also new to gluten free. I was just diagnosed in Sept. of this year after a lifetime of problems. I find that I am doing well most day's with being gluten free, and I have not intentionally contaminated myself. But it is very hard to figure out all the "hidden Gluten" in a lot of products. Since diagnosis some of my gastrointestinal symptoms have stared to subside, but I still have problems on some day's and can't figure out what the heck i've had to cause them. I have now went lactose free and it helps some. I also am having a hard time with the lack of sleep if I get 3 hours a night it's a miracle. And as soon as I start to sleep the leg cramps have me right back up. I have also been loosing weight quickly, I can see why some people go gluten free just for the diet aspects. I have droped 25 pounds in a month.I get very frustrated and sometimes I just want to go hide somewhere and curl up and cry. Sorry for running on I guess I just needed to vent.

First, let me say that I am sorry you're so sick. Many people on the board have been there, so I think you will find good company here if you just need to vent.

If you need practical advice...are you sure you're completely gluten free? Once I was, my digestive system stabilized almost immediately, and I stopped dropping weight almost instantly. That said, I consider myself fairly lucky in that thus far, aside from the severe nutritional deficiencies of any celiac, I don't seem to have any of the additional food intolerances many celiacs have.

One thing you may try just until your weight stabilizes is Boost nutritional drinks. I've been on them for about a month. My weight initially plateaued, and in the last week I've actually gained a pound. I started on two or three a day, and am thinking about decreasing to one for a trial period. They are gluten and lactose free, but not dairy free, so that would be a consideration. I would suggest lactase enzymes if you go this route.

I hope you feel better!

Going off dairy is a very good idea for now while your body heals. Sound like you have some vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Cramps & spasms in the muscles indicate your magnesium, and possibly potassium, is low. Insomnia is also an indicator that your body isn't getting enough nutrients. More than likely the villa in the intestines is damaged and not able to absorb properly but somehow you have to try to get these nutrients into your body. If you cannot get the symptoms to go away by adding nutritous foods you might want to consider supplements. We tend to be low in calcium, vits d & B12, magnesium and iron. Once your body starts mending you will start sleeping better.

Going off dairy is a very good idea for now while your body heals. Sound like you have some vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Cramps & spasms in the muscles indicate your magnesium, and possibly potassium, is low. Insomnia is also an indicator that your body isn't getting enough nutrients. More than likely the villa in the intestines is damaged and not able to absorb properly but somehow you have to try to get these nutrients into your body. If you cannot get the symptoms to go away by adding nutritous foods you might want to consider supplements. We tend to be low in calcium, vits d & B12, magnesium and iron. Once your body starts mending you will start sleeping better.

I take a potasium supplement daily as well as b12 injections every two weeks I have taken them for over 10 years I haven't tried magnesium maybe I will add that to my daily medications Thanks for the advice.