chrissyinnj

Gluten Free Shopping Guides?

Rate this topic

Has anyone used any of the grocery store shopping guides? There are a couple of them out there. One is put out by some kind of marketplace, and I saw a couple of others.

My son just learn he has to leave gluten behind, so he is new to the diet. The problem is he is a college student so he will be on his own with this shortly, more or less. We will try to learn as much as we can before he goes.

I was thinking the shopping guide would be pretty useful when he grocery shops. BUT are they reliable? Has anyone used them?

Has anyone used any of the grocery store shopping guides? There are a couple of them out there. One is put out by some kind of marketplace, and I saw a couple of others.

My son just learn he has to leave gluten behind, so he is new to the diet. The problem is he is a college student so he will be on his own with this shortly, more or less. We will try to learn as much as we can before he goes.

I was thinking the shopping guide would be pretty useful when he grocery shops. BUT are they reliable? Has anyone used them?

YES, perfect for your son's situation. Eventually he will (or needs to) learn to read labels, but a grocery guide will do in the mean time. And both are as reliable as it gets. If the need arises, they will send you e-mails regarding a product change. I like that.

I would recommend two:

www.CeceliasMarketplace.com

www.triumphdining.com (Grocery Guide)

Both publish annual issues.

Here is a list of "regular" food products that can be found at any supermarket:

http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf

I've found it very helpful for my own son, who has celiac.

rose, this listing said it was last updated in 2005. Most like, inaccurate at this time.

Does your son have an i-phone or i-pad? I've just been diagnosed and there are a few apps I use on my i-pad that help. One is "Is that Gluten Free." It has a grocery list of products by type and brand, as well as a place where you can look up specific ingredients. I also have "Is that Gluten Free Eating Out" and "IEatOut." The apps are fairly inexpensive. I think "Is that Gluten Free" was the most expensive one and it was $10.

Does your son have an i-phone or i-pad?

No, sorry, we just have dumb phones and laptops. They sound pretty cool though. Is there another way to access the apps?

I am going to look into purchasing one of the above shopping books.

I've tried a few different apps, but I haven't found them too useful. Most of the brands I wanted to know about weren't listed. <_< I bought the shopping guide from cecilia's marketplace.

--It's updated every year, which keeps it up to date. Also, on the website, it has a section to check for 'updates,' so if anything changes during the year, you can update the guide.

--It has a LOT of the common labels you'd find in a grocery story, like kroger, safeway, ore-ida, that sort of thing. Also has a lot of the specialty gluten free brands. But it's not all encompassing - many smaller brands aren't in it, even if they are gluten-free

--The foods seem more mid-west/east coast centric. Some brands are unfamiliar to those on the west coast, and some common brands on the west coast aren't listed. C&H sugar is a good example of this. However, it DOES list Dominoes sugar, which is the same company, only the brand it goes by outside the west coast.

So in a situation where your son is trying to find out what he can eat, quick, from regular brands that he can afford, this guide was pretty good. You have to figure out the organization a little bit, but after that, it does pretty well.