saintmaybe

Cold And Flu Season

Rate this topic

So I was one of the lucky duckies that got one of the seasonal changeover colds (or flu), not sure which.

And I'm reminded once again of how much *fun* it is to be dealing with residual gluten ataxia on top of crazy cold medication highness.

A sample phone call in to work:

Me: "Hi. Hank? It's ____. I can't come in to work today. I have a cold."

Hank: "Big deal. Take a sudafed and move on with life."

Me: "I did, and now I can't stand up straight. I keep falling over."

Hank: "That would be problematic." :lol: :lol: :lol:

So how do you guys deal with celiac and being sick? Tips or tricks? Any favorite soup recipes, medicines, teas, or herbs you'd like to share with the rest of the class?

Sorry you are feeling so poorly! I'd be inclined to make a big pot of chicken and rice soup. No recipe...I just wing it since I've been cooking forever.

So far I've used Tylenol Extra Strenghth for headache.

I've used a Neti Pot for YEARS to relieve sinus and nose congestion. Much more effective than any drug.

I also use cough drops, and drink herbal tea (mint/lemon), and make a whiskey/bourbon/honey/lemon/English Tea mix if needed to sleep.

Sometimes I use Vicks VapoRub on my chest. I dont know if it's gluten-free, so check.

Sorry you are feeling so poorly! I'd be inclined to make a big pot of chicken and rice soup. No recipe...I just wing it since I've been cooking forever.

Yummy. I make a Thai -style chicken soup so the spice helps unstop my head.

If you can find gluten-free hot and sour soup that works too!

So I was one of the lucky duckies that got one of the seasonal changeover colds (or flu), not sure which.

And I'm reminded once again of how much *fun* it is to be dealing with residual gluten ataxia on top of crazy cold medication highness.

A sample phone call in to work:

Me: "Hi. Hank? It's ____. I can't come in to work today. I have a cold."

Hank: "Big deal. Take a sudafed and move on with life."

Me: "I did, and now I can't stand up straight. I keep falling over."

Hank: "That would be problematic." :lol: :lol: :lol:

So how do you guys deal with celiac and being sick? Tips or tricks? Any favorite soup recipes, medicines, teas, or herbs you'd like to share with the rest of the class?

Ick. I'm still getting over my fall sickness (18 days! 18 days of this, for the love!). It seems like it takes forever to get over stuff that other people kick out fairly quickly. I've never been able to take any of the cold medicines; I get crazy heart palpitations, dizziness, red face/chest, poundy head, etc. All I can do is tylenol/ibuprofen. I just make sure I pamper myself when I'm sick - I scale back or stop my workouts, eat plenty of healthy food, drink lots of water, get extra sleep. And keep taking my supplements. Hang in there!