GlutenDude

Would You Take A Drug So You Can Eat Gluten?

Rate this topic

I know the Pharma companies are working on a drug that will hopefully allow somebody with gluten issues to eat gluten safely. I'm curious...if/when this drug comes out, would you get it? Personally, I can't see myself ever eating gluten again (been five years), even with a pill. Too much history...too much pain associated with it. Your thoughts?

No, I avoid medications at all costs. Gluten isn't worth it, and I can't even imagine it ever being appetizing again (I

No, although I think it would be nice to take if going out to dinner and be worried about CC. Otherwise there's no way I would ever think of eating gluten again.

I'd be more interested in a "morning after" recovery pill for when there are pitfalls, but I don't reckon that's going to happen. I associate gluten with poison, so I wouldn't be interested in taking a pill that will allow me to poison myself without side effects.

Yes. Absolutely. I could eat at potlucks again!?! Wonderful.

But, as "Looking for Answers" suggests, I find it highly unlikely that the drug wouldn't potentially have weird and unsavory side effects.

So I'd rather see the U.S. government pass a law requiring labeling of foods with allergy-producing ingredients, than see pharma develop a drug so I can eat gluten.

100% YES. BUT only if it was guaranteed to work after a lot of research went into it first AND it was proven not to cause any other health issues.

I haven't been gluten free that long, but like you GlutenDude, I've lost nearly everything important to me as a result of gluten side effects. I really can't see wanting it-- I've been reading excerpts from "Wheat Belly," and there are such profound(ly bad) health consequences from eating wheat, aside from celiac disease....Why would you want to?

The only reason I ate wheat as long as I did was because it didn't occur to me that it could possibly be bad for you. The FDA says you HAVE to have it, for crying out loud. Who was I to argue with that? Now that I'm off it, and feel a million times better, nobody can make me eat it again, pill or no pill.

I don't think I'd take the drug but I heard that a homeopathic remedy from Dr. Wise's along with his Glandular Calm made in Tulsa may be interesting to try out. I've heard some very good recounts of this online and they use enterolab testing.

Also, it seems as though we either have celiac or we don't. I'm still quite new but I think I'd be willing to try some of these products if I was convinced enough they'd work. It seems to be as if it's a on-off switch that can change.

Some also tell me that the autoimmunity is always there, even when we're gluten free. How does this go? I thought the gluten free diet got rid of the autoimmunity but then gluten was the ON switch.

Drugs can be wondrous in their ability to do good when everything else fails, but are notorious for their adverse "side effects" which are always downplayed by pharma and the docs who prescribe them. I would not take a drug that would have potentially disastrous effects on my health just to avoid the chore of eating gluten free. I have already experienced too many adverse drug reactions to ever be seduced into that option. The fewer drugs you take the better. My docs this summer wanted me to take Pradaxa (an anti-clotting druglike Coumadin to avoid stroke) which I strenuously resisted. We now find that not only does it have serious adverse effects, but that they cannot reverse its anti-clotting mechanism so that if you were to bleed you could potentiallly bleed out :unsure: And I have seriously fragile skin :blink: Do these people even think????? or have the pharma companies seduced them?

So, the answer is NO!!!

• Upvote 1

NOPE! I would not take it so I could deliberately eat gluten. If there was something to help in the event of accidental ingestion of gluten or CC, without horrible side effects, then maybe.

No. For one thing I wouldn't trust it to really stop the autoimmune process without messing with the whole immune system. I wouldn't want to trade off having to be gluten free with picking up every virus or bacterial infection that I come into contact with. Being gluten free isn't that bad in the long run.

It might be a nice way to avoid those accidental glutenings. I wonder if a drug created for the average celiac would work on a super sensitive celiac?