This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Los Angeles, Ca Meeting - Summer 2005

Merika

Merika Contributor

Hi!

There seem to be enough of us to warrant a real people meeting :) A bunch of folks have expressed interest. Let's pick a time and place.....

Weekday or weekend?

Someone's house or restaurant or coffee shop?

I'm thinking daytime. I'm also thinking Hollywood/West Hollywood as it seems pretty convenient. I could offer my house also, in that area.

Personally, I hate going to restaurants. I could maybe handle a Coffee Bean or if it's an off hour, we could maybe eat at a place near me (Cheebo) that will custom-make just about anything, has lots of organic/healthy stuff, and doesn't think it at all weird to make something without the bread. I have not actually questioned them about their gluten-free-ness for meat, salad dressings, etc, so I can't recommend them exactly. Also, they are about $10 or more per plate. It's a thought, but I don't love it. :unsure:

Just about any time from now to whenever works for me. :) What about the last week of August? (Or one of the last 2 weekends in August.) Too soon? Ok?

Let's do it! :) I can't wait to meet you all.

Merika

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

We could do a picnic at Griffith too. I vote for any weekend after the 21st. Or we could do gluten-free potluck. I think considering the reason, there should be food :)

My place is rediculously tiny, so I won't offer :).

I'm in.

Elonwy

tarnalberry Community Regular

If we don't have more than 12 people or so, I can offer up using my place (even though it's small, we've had that many people here for a dinner party before), but I am in Huntington Beach. Though, that means we could head out to the beach for a bonfire, as I'm about a mile away. ;-) Evening bonfires are actually really fun, so I highly recommend it! And it's also a good way to potluck.

As for timing... For once in my life, I've got a life! So, I would pick one of the following days:

Sunday, August 21

Saturday, September 3 *my preference*

Sunday, September 4

Saturday, September 10

If anyone is interested in the September 10 date, there's a little event at the Sacred Movement Yoga Studio in Venice at 8pm called Zen Dancing that's... a new-age hippie's idea of a great time. ;-) It's a little "wacky", but also a lot of fun. We could consider doing lunch before that as well.

Thomas Apprentice

I'm in!

uclangel422 Apprentice

My place is too tiny. I live in the Valley so it would be easy for me to pretty much get anywhere. I also prefer the beginning of September if possible.

Merika Contributor

Ok! :)

How about Sat. Sept. 3 then?

How about meet at my place? We can have all to ourselves that day. It's near Sunset/Fairfax and easy from the valley off the 101. Tiffany will have a little bit of a drive, but not too bad.

What time?? I say sometime between 11 and 5pm. 2-4? Earlier? Later?

And how about, if you want, bring your favorite gluten-free grub to share?

Merika

PS. Tiffany - I've BEEN to zen dancing up here in Hollywood years ago!!! I didn't know they were still at it :)

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm down with all that. Maybe a little earlier like 1pm. Of course now we have to discuss food. All of my attempts at baking sofar have been... amusing. I used to be the girl that would always bring the apple pie. Could everyone list thier other allergies/intolerances too?

I can't do milk, but am fine with other dairy, and can't eat eggs, but can eat things made with a little bit of eggs like bread.

I think this'll be fun.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Saturday the 3rd is fine for me. I'll bring something... but not sure what yet. Probably something salad-ish or soup-ish. I don't do a lot of baking 'cause I get enough carbs from my veggies. ;-)

Yep, I agree with listing the food intolerances - I avoid gluten, dairy, and soy (on rotation).

Thomas Apprentice

I have no idea what to bring for food... Is anyone a vegetarian?

Merika Contributor

So how is 1-3 then? Of course, we can go later if we want, I just like the time bracketed so if anyone's late they know if it's still worthwhile to come or not....

I also like it not dependent on the lunch hour - my own personal preference. Maybe I am alone in that....but me & food have a long history of not mixing so well <_<

As for food, I don't want anyone stressing that they have to bring something. Bring something you like to eat, and bring extra to share, but I doubt all of us will be able to eat everything, yk? (I may be just speaking for myself here.)

As for foods, I'm a vegetarian. I also don't eat soy, eggs, dairy (except cheese), lots of fats, lots of sugars, avocado, strawberries, anything spicy, lentils, grains other than rice and occasional corn, vinegar, alcohol, tumeric, uhhh, there's probably more. Maybe it would be easier if i listed what i DO eat :P

So maybe everyone should just bring what they like and copy all the labels/list ingredients of what is in the food :D (That's actually my dh's half-jolking suggestion.)

I say Bring what makes you happy and be informed on the ingredients, and then we can all share or not eat as makes us happy :)

Thoughts?

Merika

elonwy Enthusiast

After looking at the lists of everyone's intolerances, I agree with you Merika. Bring stuff or not bring stuff and bring an ingredients list. lol.

On a side note I have 4 bottles of Bard's beer if anyone wants it. I was excited and ordered it online and its alright beer, but it's a little too beer-like for me. Does that make sense? I'm going to stick to K's cider which Bevmo here carries. I'll bring it if any of you want to take it. Otherwise I'll give it to my non-gluten-free friend who will drink any kind of beer on the planet, but I figured I'd offer it to gluten-free people first.

I'm excited, and my bf is very happy we're doing this 'cause he wants to make sure I get support:)

Elonwy

On a third note- I went to the Hamburger Hamlet on Sepulveda and they were very communicative and promised that no grains of any kind would get anywhere near my food. I got a new item they have which is a grilled chicken breast with lemon sauce and green beans and it was amazing and I felt great after dinner. So they are very gluten-free friendly.

Merika Contributor

Hello? Did I scare everyone away with my food rant, lol?

So unless uclangel has trouble, I think we are decided on

SATURDAY, SEPT. 3, 1-3pm

Yes?

And is my place ok with everyone?? Near Sunset/Fairfax. If so, I'll pm or email directions to: Elonwy, Smith, Tarnalberry, and Uclangel.

If you are in Los Angeles and want to come, and are not one of the people mentioned above, please post here!!! The more the merrier :)

Merika

I'm "signed up" for Saturday the 3rd from 1pm to 3pm! :-)

elonwy Enthusiast

Yup. me too.

Elonwy

uclangel422 Apprentice

That sounds good to me. I will put that on my calendar.

Thomas Apprentice

I'm there.

Merika Contributor

Here's a thought for food, if anyone wants to do it:

Open Original Shared Link

It's about getting free samples for celiac groups of gluten-free foods....

Merika

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm down with the free samples. I'll call a couple places, if someone else wants to pick another couple. There's four of us, so maybe four places?

Did anyone want my Bards Beer?

Elonwy

PicturePerfect Explorer

Am I allowed to come??? I'm a teenager.. so...... :huh:

Oh.. wait.. I guess I won't be in state anyway. So... um, if I am allowed to come can you guys tell me when the next get-together thing is??

Thanks

Lisa

I'd be curious to give the beer a try. (I am 26, I promise. :-) )

elonwy Enthusiast

I sent Emails to FoodsByGeorge, Pamela's and kinnikinick. It's pretty close to the date, so we'll see what happens.

I'll ID you tarnalberry ;)

I'm excited about this.

If this all works out and we do it again, I don't see why a teenager can't come. With parental approval and all, blah blah.

But it's Merika's house, so she should probably make that call.

elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

YAY! We will hopefully have a box of goodies from Pamela's they're sending it out today.

See you guys soon .

Elonwy

Merika Contributor
Am I allowed to come??? I'm a teenager.. so......  :huh:

Oh.. wait.. I guess I won't be in state anyway. So... um, if I am allowed to come can you guys tell me when the next get-together thing is??

Thanks

Lisa

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Lisa,

Of course!!! Too bad you'll miss it, though. PM me with your email and keep an eye on the board for future stuff. :)

Merika

PS. Yea, Elonwy! Free grub :D (And I don't want your beer, thanks :) )

elonwy Enthusiast

We got a box coming from Kinnikinnick too! This is gonna be so Much Fun!

Elonwy

elonwy Enthusiast

It's official. A box from Pamela's was on my doorstep today addressed to "informal LA Celiac support group". I was so excited I had to peek inside and it is crammed with goodies!!!! I didn't actually read the labels though, to keep the suspense going.

We haven't even met up yet and I already feel better :P

Elonwy

Archived