espresso261

Thanksgiving Tips?

Rate this topic

This Thanksgiving will be my first gluten-free thanksgiving (and of i'll be spending it at my boyfriend's parents house!). They are well aware of my dietary-need and want to be accomodating. i know how my family cooks thanksgiving (we don't actually stuff the turkey, we make the stuffing on the side, we make homemade mashed potatoes so there is no need to be concerned with gluten being added etc). But i'm not sure what other people do so i don't even know what to tell them to be aware of. i'm planning on contributing some of my own dishes. And I'll make mention of chicken broths, bouillions, cross contamination etc.

Any other thanksgiving tips that anyone can share? (either things to be aware of or yummy substitutions or naturally gluten free thanksgiving items).

Thanks!

This Thanksgiving will be my first gluten-free thanksgiving (and of i'll be spending it at my boyfriend's parents house!). They are well aware of my dietary-need and want to be accomodating. i know how my family cooks thanksgiving (we don't actually stuff the turkey, we make the stuffing on the side, we make homemade mashed potatoes so there is no need to be concerned with gluten being added etc). But i'm not sure what other people do so i don't even know what to tell them to be aware of. i'm planning on contributing some of my own dishes. And I'll make mention of chicken broths, bouillions, cross contamination etc.

Any other thanksgiving tips that anyone can share? (either things to be aware of or yummy substitutions or naturally gluten free thanksgiving items).

Thanks!

I think that it's really hard for non celiac people to understand. I would bring enough sides that you can enjoy your meal. And, most people have not problem with you serving your plate first to avoid cross contamination.

You said you were planning on contributing. Bring some rice or sweet potato casserole, vegetables...countless gluten free options. Rather than disrupting possible family traditions (like stuffed turkey), I would bring my own personal mini-me turkey - a cornish hen. I did that once and it was a big hit amongst the little kids. :D And if you bring enough for you to eat and share with others, it relieves the hostess of tremendous stress.

A few things I looked out for my first gluten-free thanksgiving.

Make sure the bouillon in the pan juices ( if you add it) is gluten-free , If they make gravy use corn starch for thickening (make sure the pack of corn starch is new or cc free

Make sure the butter for the potatoes is from a fresh pack unused or it could have cc on it , same for fresh veggies .

The strainer/s for the potaotes/veggies should be very carefully cleaned beforehand or bring yours to be safe

Make sure their gluten stuffing is safely away from the bird and covered while waiting for everything to be ready, same for gluten biscuits . you could do cornbread instead of biscuits?

Make sure there is an ample supply of serving spoons/forks so as not to use the same utensil for different dishes

Progresso makes a gluten-free cream of mushroom soup for green bean casserole minus the fried onions

Pacific makes gluten-free cream of mushroom, celery and chicken. The texture and taste are so like the Campbell's poison ones that you can make all your old casseroles. It comes in a little box, and each carton is equal the the standard can of soup. Hooray for Pacific!

And make a gluten free, or crustless pumpkin pie! Thanksgiving just ain't the same without pumpkin pie!