missy'smom

Pasta Ideas-No Dairy Or Tomato

Rate this topic

I am looking for some ways to dress up plain pasta, however I need ideas that do not include:

dairy

soy

egg

tomatoes

bell peppers

and a few others that I'll not mention just yet so that it doesn't stifle anyone's inspiration ;) LOL

I have put it in chicken soup but that's all I've been able to come up with so far.

Olive oil, garlic, and roasted veggies?

Spinach would be good too...

saute spinach with olive oil, garlic and onion. I put milk or cream in this but it tastes good dairy-free as well.

Tuna and olives are nice.

Or a pasta salad - with brokoli and sweet corn. Is there some egg-free substitute for mayo? I use just oil, it tastes good enough for me so I don't feel motivated enough to search for something better. (I use flax-seed oil in salads)

Peanut butter noodles.

Olive oil, garlic, basil, nuts.

Curry sauce based on coconut milk with spices.

Olive oil, kalamata olives, sauteed mushrooms and garlic

Basil pesto

Pan frizzled pancetta and mushrooms (swiss chard optional)

saute spinach with olive oil, garlic and onion.

I love this with parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and capers.

That gives me some ideas that I can start from. Thanks.

Good to "see" some old familiar "faces" too.

I've ditched my low-carb ways(due to major allergy problems/load) so I am back "in town" but I haven't had so many foods in so long I've forgotten so many things and feel like I'm starting from scratch again!

bacon! goes with everything! but especially with pasta with olive oil and capers or toasted walnuts

I am looking for some ways to dress up plain pasta, however I need ideas that do not include:

dairy

soy

egg

tomatoes

bell peppers

and a few others that I'll not mention just yet so that it doesn't stifle anyone's inspiration ;) LOL

I have put it in chicken soup but that's all I've been able to come up with so far.

Salmon pasta salad. Grill some salmon, sautee whatever vegetables you do like (onions, carrots, zucchini, for example) in some olive oil, and mix with pasta, the salmon, and italian dressing (homemade! :) )

Creamy fettucini

Sweet potato

Pumpkin

Carrot

(all roasted)

Silverbeet

Capsicum

Onion

Mushroom

Beans

Snow peas

(all stir fried)

In a pot:

Coconut cream

Garlic

Fresh chives

In another pot:

Fettucini

Completely vegan :)

San Remo does a gluten free and vegan fettucini

For something like tomato sauce, there's Nomato. It really does taste a lot like tomato sauce, though I make my own, so I don't know how that product compares. I'd like to think it's just as good if not better.

Sometimes I'll use macaroon (finely shredded) coconut in place of grated cheese, though coconut flour with salt blended in tastes closer to it. Not the same, but good, especially if you like coconut.

A white sauce can be really tasty too, especially if based on a good quality coconut oil.

Love the peanut butter sauce idea - that's one of my favorite things to put on pasta. The Spunky Coconut website has a recipe for "5 minute mac and cheese" that we make sometimes. There's no dairy - she uses cashews to get a creamy sauce.

I buy a cooked chicken at my local grocery store and debone one half of it. Cut deboned chicken into cubes. Put in large skillet with olive oil and small onion coarsely chopped and suatee' for a few minutes until onion starts to turn transparent. Pour in a bag of frozen vegetables of your choice ( I use broccoli stir fry and 1/2 bag of sugar snap peas) or chunck fresh vegetables of your chioce. Sautee 4-5 minutes longer. In the meantime, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce (LaChoy is gluten free), 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and about 3-4 ounces of pineapple juice over vegetables and chicken mixture. Leave on medium fire until most of the juices cook out. Serve over Pasta or rice.

Enjoy!

Wenmin

Thanks guys for all the ideas. It amazes me what I've forgotten! You've refreshed my memory of what's possible.

Today I made a sauce of chopped onions sauteed in olive oil. Added in tuna, mixed frozen veg.(peas, carrots, corn etc.) salt and pepper and parsley and tossed w/ the pasta.

We like a combo of zucchini, summer squash, and mushrooms sauteed in a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle generously with garlic powder and pour over cooked pasta.

Another good one..brown some bulk sausage breaking it apart as you cook it. Toss on a heavy layer of sliced cabbage, followed by a heavy dusting of garlic powder. Put a lid on the pan and let the cabbage wilt down. Stir occasionally so it blends and cooks evenly.

While cooking that part boil your pasta(we like spiral Tinkyada), then drain and add to the sausage/cabbage mix. Add seasoning salt to your taste.

I usually finish up by stirring in a healthy dollop of cottage cheese and stir in, but have made it without and it's still good.

I like Parma (raw, vegan cheese in a shaker) with olive oil and fresh basil.